Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Organization Opinion 2010/5/11 10:29
Does anyone think that this place is a good organization to use to travel abroad? I found it, and the rates are cheap for a while year, only $7,200. I might be able to apply for the best scholarship, but I want a second opinion since this is my first time looking for stuff like this.
Is this place reliable looking?

Also, if you notice anything or see something I might have missed then please let me know!
Thanks!
by Renea Chan  

? 2010/5/11 14:00
You might have missed telling us what it is you are talking about.
by RodW rate this post as useful

Well... 2010/5/11 22:38
Shes talking about going to Japan and the cost of this organization compared to others. Like, how much cheaper it is to be sent abroad using this organization and if the benefits are better then other known organizations like YFU and so on for the price it is offering.

That's just my guess though XD
by Kort (guest) rate this post as useful

OOPS! 2010/5/12 10:34
I'm sorry!

Here's the website.
http://www.asse.com/United_States/index.html
by Renea Chan rate this post as useful

DON'T DO IT 2010/5/13 10:12
DO NOT TRUST ASSE! I girl I knew was already set to leave to Japan this past March with ASSE but all of a sudden they canceled on her. Luckly, she got her money back and went with YFU. However, I hear it has a bad reputation. I went with YFU for 3 weeks this past winter. I am going back to finish high school but I am going through a private school.
Just to be safe... anything less than 10,000 may not be very good.
I can give you some names of international schools that have exchange programs.
Do you want to legitly study in Japan to get credit or do you want to go just for the fun. interest?
by Haruka Yuunagi (guest) rate this post as useful

Really? 2010/5/13 10:17
That really sucks! I was hoping that I could get the scholarship that would pay for the trip there since I can't really afford to go any other way. T_T
I looked at the other places like YFU and they don't give very good scholarships either..
If ASSE isn't very good then I won't use it, but I'm running out of options.
I want to go to study and get credit, but at something I can afford. XC
by Kootoni rate this post as useful

YFU and AFS have scholarships 2010/5/14 07:00
YFU and AFS have full ride scholarships but you would have to pay visa expenses, spending money, etc.
I would recommend going for a summer. A year with organizations like YFU and AFS would most definitely hold you back in school UNLESS you speak enough Japanese to survive in a Japanese High School. I know some people who are in Japan right now with AFS and I don't think any of them speak Japanese to an extent they can do the schoolwork.
I only went to Japanese for 3 weeks and I was almost about to fail Math! and I had a load of problems with missing work.
The kids who go for a year with those organizations come back with VARIOUS academic problems. Some get held back. This is the reason alot of Japanese kids do not study abroad in High School. My host sister went to Iowa for one year but got held back when she came back.
I suggest looking for international schools that have foreign study programs. You can save up and they may have financial aid...
You'll have fun but when you come back it stabs you in the back... -_-
you can check out my blog:
http://yuunagiharuka.wordpress.com/
I post about Japan and stuff
here is the blog I had when I was in Japan
http://harukasousuke.wordpress.com/
let me know how I can help!
by Haruka Yuunagi (guest) rate this post as useful

Getting held back is not a problem. 2010/5/14 10:38
I already knew that would happen. I talked to my school the second I wanted to be an exchange student and they told me that if I went for a year then I would have to make up the whole year I missed since they wouldn't give me credit.
Yes, it's true that I dont know enough Japanese to be able to pass all of my classes, but if I stay at the academic level from when I left to when I get back, I wouldn't be missing out on anything since I would have to take the higher classes anyways when I get back, so it wouldnt be a problem.

I have thought about just going for a summer though, but a summer alone sounds really short. I don't think I'd be able to enjoy myself as much if I knew that it would all end so soon. T_T

Oh, 2010/5/14 10:40
this is my other account by the way ^^

reply to this thread