Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Can you live apart on a spousal visa? 2010/5/13 21:04
It is likely that my husband and I will be separating soon. He is a dependent on my visa and cannot be sponsored through the company he works for because he doesn't have a degree (we are both foreigners).

Neither of us wants to leave Japan, but is it possible for us to live in separate accommodation? It seems very unlikely to me, but I thought I had better ask to see if there is any way around it.

Cheers
by Sal (guest)  

impossible 2010/5/14 11:56
Its impossible. If you are getting divorced, he will not be your dependant any more. Likewise, if you start living separately in diverse wards immigration office would consider it weird and you both might have visa-related issues.
by Roba (guest) rate this post as useful

Your call 2010/5/14 14:06
Just a matter of opinion but I don't know if I would put my own valid and legal visa at risk for him to stay. I understand his feelings of wanting to stay but just like many other people on these message boards, if he doesn't have the qualifications to get his own visa, he doesn't have much choice other than to pursue a degree and get his own visa.
by Mike (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread