Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Western hair salon for men in Tokyo 2010/5/14 15:17
Hey!

I'm looking for a hair salon for men in Tokyo that specializes in Western-style haircuts.

I thought it's time to do something with my hair. I'm not looking for anything fancy, perhaps a layered cut with minimum styling. I'd rather pay less than ichiman en, if possible.

Oh and if you don't know the answer to the above, but have some knowledge about guys' haircuts, then I'd appreciate any and all explanations about hair styling techniques etc.
Are hairstyles just a one-day thing or do they last for some time? I guess that's a silly question but I have no knowledge of these things :D
by Rad (guest)  

cut it baby! 2010/5/14 19:08
Welcome to planet Earth, esteemed alien! is your space craft securely parked?

Unless you hair is 10 feet long and the stylist twist it, braid it then knot it in an elaborate pile 3 ft high, a man hairstyle will last for several weeks for sure.

The major difference between a haircut in a barber shop and a hairstyle in a salon is that the later will cost much more, even if all you ask is a basic army cut.

by Monkey see (guest) rate this post as useful

Haha 2010/5/14 22:35
Thanks for a nice welcome, but I'm still new to Earth so it'll take me a while to get used to things... :D

What I meant is: I've never had my hair styled (I only went to the barber's), so I don't know how that works. I thought I might try something new for a special occasion.
by Rad (guest) rate this post as useful

glorious hair 2010/5/15 05:16
A hair stylist and a barber aren' t that different anymore, with the exception of old fashioned barbers in the poorest area of a town, as barbers have long learned to do razor cuts, layering, blow drying etc. etc. in order to keep their more demanding clientele.

In a hairstylist salon you will first have your hair washed, in a special area, by a junior staff, then the stylist will discuss your hairstyle with you. Obviously it depends on the length of your hair, whether or not you want your hair coloured, want hair extensions or braiding etc.

If you already have short to medium length hair the process will be sweet and simple, the same as if you went to a good barber shop.

Have a look at http://coolmenshair.com/ go past the shaved head guys and read how the surfer hairstyle is done.. layering by a razor etc.. if this was done to you, you wouldn't really know, except for the stylist using a razor instead of scissors (but they also use these)

more choices of hairstyles in the right hand column.

The longer the hair the more choices you have to style your hair yourself in a different way everyday: free flowing or tied in one pony tail or several or with a short pony tail on top and free flowing hair below.
With short to medium hair, you pretty much keep the same style, unless you like to part your hair in a different place every time you shampoo....
The cut will last as long as a barber cut. Most guys wait 3 weeks to a month. My dad had short hair yet would go every single week...It annoyed barbers or hairstylist, as they couldn't do much to his hair, and after a few months he was told to go someplace else..

I am not a barber or hair stylist but used to have very long hair many moons ago .. I loved it but it was a hassle too..
by Monkey see (guest) rate this post as useful

I hope not too late... 2010/11/1 12:23
Try to NOZ Hair salon @ roppongi.

My stylist her name is SHIHO who was working
in NYC since last year.

Trust me.

by kate (guest) rate this post as useful

dude 2010/11/1 13:17
try dude.jp
Ive heard it recommended by numerous people who travel long distances to go there as they claim it is the only place that understands how to cut foreign hair.
Never been there myself but I once phoned up when I had a accident dying my hair with a self dye kit(dont ask!), they were very kind and helpful over the phone telling me what remedy shampoos to buy and where from.

They are clearly directed at foreigners in japan. This is what it says on their website...

Free consultation
Fluent English spoken
Foreign hair experts for women & men
No use of thinning scissors without prior consultation
Imported hair colours and colour sample chart for Western hair
Entirely nonsmoking. Smoking area outside
No personal questions. We concentrate on our job and let you relax
Friendly atmosphere and groovy music
Dude is for people who really want to chill at the hairdressers

Dudes always know how to chill.
We are all Dudes ourselves and thereby naturally
provide a very relaxing atmosphere and service to our customers.

Meet our new stylist from Vancouver called Robyn!!(every Friday - Monday)
by gillesdesign (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread