Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Working for Gaba ...having 2nd thoughts! 2010/5/14 21:51
Since the beginning of this year I have been putting plans into motion for a 6 month working holiday in Japan. I attended a TESOL course then applied for a job with Gaba which i got. I am due to start 1st week of Sept this year in the Kansai area, have flights booked and waiting on a working holiday visa.
However, I am concerned about the pay and lack of guaranteed lessons with Gaba. I haven't signed a contract so I am not locked in but wondering if I should still come to Japan in hope of earning enough to pay rent and live basically? I have been doing a lot of reading on forums about the state of the english teaching industry in Japan at present and a little concerned!
I have a decently paid job here in Australia so wondering if it's still worth throwing it in to chase my dream of living in Japan and accelerating my Japanese language skills?
I just came back from my 4th trip to Japan so I'm satisfied for the moment but this really is my last chance to take the working holiday visa so should i just take the plunge???
If anyone can share any experiences from working at Gaba or their thoughts on the current state of affairs that would be appreciated.
by pacifierchik  

Gaba 2010/5/15 09:45
I used to work part time for Gaba. My feelings on their system is that it is great if you have some spare time and just do it for the extra money, but that it is not really good for people who have just arrived in Japan and have no other source of income, unless you have plenty of start-up funds and don't mind a fairly low income for the first few months while you build up a student base.

If you will be needing a fulltime-equivalent paycheque (i.e. 200,000 yen per month plus) from the beginning, then I recommend looking for something with a guaranteed income.

If you can survive for a few months with less, you have the option of either looking for another job while having some income with Gaba (the flexible hours make it really easy to change jobs), or seeing if you can build up a decent student base- plenty of people there do make a good living, but they have usually been there a while and have loyal students.

Coming over with Gaba does mean you would be in the country to interview for other jobs, so you have a lot more options open to you that way as many employers will only hire people who are already in Japan.
by Sira (guest) rate this post as useful

. 2010/5/15 13:13
My advice, find a cheap place to live in, use craig's list japan for accommodation, I've found places there before, live with a roommate/housemate for a while, this will certainly keep your rent down for the first few months until you get yourself settled in and get real steady income. Guesthouses work out well too.

It is certainly possible to live if you live frugal and make sacrifices here and there especially if your income is not stable and you don't have much saved up.
by ExpressTrain (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread