Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Japanese phone in Finland 2010/5/19 09:51
I wanna know if some docomo/softbank phone would work in Finland, with that unlock sim system?

So which phone can work here, and how i can buy and where i can buy that unlock card.

And all other informations about this, thanks.
by Asker (guest)  

japanese phones outside japan 2010/5/19 10:08
It is hit or miss on which Japanese phones are unlockable to use on non-Japanese networks. I'd suggest you first pick a model that interests you and then google to find out if it supports Finland's 3g frequencies, and if people have had success in unlocking that particular handset. A few things to note:

1. An unlocked phone will likely lose some of its advanced features, such as Japanese support, mms, or internet access. You will definitely lose access to one seg tv, mobile wallet features, and imode or the softbank app store.

2. Docomo and Softbank do not currently unlock phones for customers. You will have to look into other means.

3. You will either have to purchase the handset in Japan, or via resellers.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

Softbank 2010/5/19 13:06
Thereis one phone that can be found at Akihabara (Electric Town) in Tokyo that is SIM unlocked.

If I recall correctly, it's the 740sc, which is made by Samsung for Softbank. It uses 2100MHz 3G, but can also handle GSM networks on 900/1800/1900 MHz. (even though Japan doesn't use GSM) They advertise this as a phone with which you can can globally roam.

I've seen a couple of different types of phones sold new as SIM unlocked at Akihabara, and they always seem to be Samsung. I assume that these are based originally on global Samsung products.

Finland uses 2100MHz 3G, and GSM networks on 900/1800 MHz, so these phones should work.
by Sandy (guest) rate this post as useful

checked 2010/5/21 07:44
I checked it, and it's a Softbank 740sc, SIM unlcked.
by Sandy (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread