Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Netbooks in Japan 2010/5/19 12:53
So, I've been contemplating whether or not to just buy a new netbook or pay $50 for the new power adapter my old netbook needs to work (although I'm pretty sure it's out of stock with ASUS...).

While I'm abroad next year as a senior in High school in Japan. I'm probably gonna want to use skype vs. international phone calls and probably gonna want to use e-mail etc.

So the question is this, are netbooks in Japan better than the netbooks found in the US? If so, is there a large price gap? Lastly, do they have the Japanese keyboard on them?... The last one kinda makes you wonder why to ask when buying in Japan, but I just want to know because it's something I'd like to have.

The importance of having an actual Japanese keyboard (which is the same as the English keyboard with a slightly different layout and 5-8 more button) lies in the fact that it has this button that I can push on the actual keyboard that switches from english to hiragana/katakana/kanji and probably more useful buttons for typing in Japanese.

However that one sole button really attracts my attention as I utterly loathe having to take my hands off the keyboard mid-sentence to switch to english mode (via the language bar) so I can look up a word while typing in my Japanese journal. Then switch back when I change pages... although sometimes it does this automatically. However the amount of times I have to do it and the constant movement of my right hand from keyboard to mouse ANNOYS ME TO NO END as it SEVERELY slows down my typing speed.

Typing fast is crucial to me as it saves me a lot of time, like typing this whole spiel took like 2 minutes versus the average person taking an hour or so... well average by my mom's standards, my peers maybe not because schools now teach touch-typing but still! This one button would increase my (japanese form of WPM) so much that I simply must have it!!!

Although I want to know the other facts and price differences before I just go out and buy a netbook in Japan.
by DemonicDerek (guest)  

netbooks 2010/5/19 14:36
So the question is this, are netbooks in Japan better than the netbooks found in the US? If so, is there a large price gap?

Generally the same models are available here as are found in the US, however I find that they tend to be a little more expensive in Japan, and there tends to be a little more selection in the US.

Lastly, do they have the Japanese keyboard on them?

Yes, all Japanese computers come with Japanese keyboards. Apple is one of the few manufacturers that allow you to order a computer with an English keyboard installed.

The last one kinda makes you wonder why to ask when buying in Japan, but I just want to know because it's something I'd like to have.

You can buy an external Japanese keyboard for as little as 1000 yen.

The importance of having an actual Japanese keyboard (which is the same as the English keyboard with a slightly different layout and 5-8 more button) lies in the fact that it has this button that I can push on the actual keyboard that switches from english to hiragana/katakana/kanji and probably more useful buttons for typing in Japanese.

Have you considered upgrading your OS? Keyboard shortcuts in windows vista and 7 (Shift+Capslock) mimic the functionality of the kana buttons on a Japanese keyboard. I find that I can type a mix of English an Japanese faster on and English keyboard using this shortcut than on a Japanese keyboard because of the different placement of punctuation keys (namely the apostrophe, @ symbol, and colon). However anyone can become proficient on either, and both are much better than XP with the virtual IME.

Although I want to know the other facts and price differences before I just go out and buy a netbook in Japan.

Other things to think about is that Japanese netbooks will have Japanese language windows installed. Not too big a deal though until you need to troubleshoot something. Then it can be a pain in the butt even for experienced users.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

... 2010/5/19 16:17
If you use the adapter as an excuse to buy a new netbook (with Japanese keyboard/OS) just buy a lap/netbook in Japan. I agree what the previous poster said about price.
But keep in mind that most likely your US adapter will work in Japan (check the writing on the adapter). And if not or you do not want to give it a try (using 110V equipment on 100V is quite save) you buy a second hand adapters in the backstreets of Akihabara for a few hundred yen.

I visited Japan a few weeks ago with the intention to buy amongs other gadgets a netbook (for the fun). But i was disappointed with the price (Euro is not doing so well and Japan is not really cheap). And also keep in mind most gadgets you buy in Japan have only a local warranty. And lastly on the return trip the customs might ask you some extra donations for the country spendings.
Have a nice trip
Butch
by B. Slager (guest) rate this post as useful

Japanese OS is OK 2010/5/20 16:50
*Tries shift+caps lock*... Holy Sh*t... how did I not know that... Moving along...

Re: Buying external Japanese keyboard

-No, because then I have to carry the keyboard around with me too making my use of the netbook more bulky... so hence internal or not at all.

Re: Higher prices in Japan, Better Selection in US

-Oh... cool. Probably not buying in Japan now xD.

Re: Troubleshooting in Japanese is difficult

-Not really, most if not all technical terms in the Japanese OS (I have it installed on my Desktop) are in Katakana and thus quite easy to understand. As for learning the Kanji words, I have dictionaries for that as well as much more. I've done it before, but I try not to because it takes a LOT more time to do it in Japanese than it does to do it in English.

Re: Using an Adapter as an excuse

-Way to call me out on that xD! (Jk) On a serious note, The thing is though I think the battery may have completely drained and also previous aftermarket adapter's I bought didn't work and the warranty is now well over expired is the other thing. Plus it's nice to have the extra SATA drive lying around the house as it comes in handy for using as an external drive for backing up information when I reformat my computer.

So the debate on whether to pay $50 for a new adapter or to buy a new one (that has a warranty) is on. I mean the big thing is that if I buy a new one it has a warranty. I mean yeah $250 is an expensive warrranty, but at the same time it's probably going to be better overall too.

Although the thing about buying in Japan is that most warranties don't last past 6-12 months for netbooks anyways and without an external disk drive it's a really difficult task to install a new OS on it. Buying in Japan makes it so I don't have to do all that too...

*Oh decisions decisions xD*
by DemonicDerek (guest) rate this post as useful

... 2010/5/20 17:10
Just out of curiosity. What does it say on your current adapter about the voltage range?
I still would consider if you realy need one, to buy a used adapter in the back shops of Akihabara (Tokyo) or Dem-Dem town in Osaka if you happen to be in that area. I am sure (although their English will be poor) that the guy's will help you selecting an adpter and trying it out.
Warranty on an adapter is in my opinion not that importand. I am sure that if it outputs a too high voltage and it blows your computer this warranty does not cover the repair (if possible) of your computer. And also if you buy a working used adapter their is no need for warranty.
Butch

To Sum this up 2010/5/20 17:22
So you're saying my best bet is to bring my netbook to Japan without an adapter. Go to Akihabara and look for one in the backstreets?

If I'm assigned to live nowhere near akihabara... then well I doubt I'll do that. However, sounds like good advice to me thus far xD.

If all else fails I'll have to call up ASUS and try to buy a new adapter.

... 2010/5/21 16:41
As mentioned before i am pretty sure that your US adapter will work in Japan. (What is printed on the adapter about the voltage range?) Most modern adapters have a wide voltage range (100-250V) to be able to work worldwide (remember a netbook/notebook is made to travel...). So bring your own adapter and only buy another adapter if it does not work. (What are the experiences from pother travellers.)
Note 1. The Japan voltage (100V) is just a little bit (9%) below the US voltage (115V). Formally i believe it is outside the tolerance bands of in both countries allowed tolerances. But this is so close and the tolerance is not a sharp border that i am convinced that it will work. And even if the voltage is too low (especially if the Japan voltage drops to the low end of the tolerance band (rural area or far away from a transformer)) it will not do any harm but you will get a warning that the voltage is not good (=too low). In that case you might even remove the battery so you reduce the load (and load the battery without the computer running).
Butch

adapter 2010/5/21 16:58
(What are the experiences from pother travellers.)

Pretty much every major brand of laptop has a universal power adapter meaning they can be used in Japan with just a plug adapter if necessary. Most US laptops don't even need the plug adapter as long as they are a 2-prong plug. If its a grounded 3-prong plug then pick up an adapter at your local hardware store before you head over.

But I have the impression that demonicderek's adapter is fried, in which case you'll need a new adapter anyway. If you have a multimeter on hand you can check and see if the adapter is outputting the correct voltage and amperage (it should be listed on the brick). If it is then it's probably the battery that needs replacing.

... 2010/5/21 18:02
About measuring the output of an adapter (of a modern switching power adapter). Without a load it is not sure that you measure the correct voltage so i do not think this is a good test (unless you provide at the same time a load). Some adapters even do not output any voltage if there is no load (and the multimeter has a too high input resistance to be considered as a load). If the adapter has a light (LED) and it is lit you may assume it is working.

My Adapter IS fried... 2010/5/24 11:35
I know for a fact my battery is fine and my adapter is fried. How?...

When I first had the problem I called ASUS and asked for a replacement they said it wasn't covered under warranty. I said "shoot" and moved on...

I bought an adapter from ebay cause it was considerably cheaper ($12ish), but that wouldn't charge the laptop for some reason. I told the manufacter of the problem they said they'd refund me, but I figured because of shipping that why bother for $2.

At this point I looked at the warranty card and saw that the original power adapter was indeed in coverage. Called up ASUS and was like "DUDE WTF YOU LIED!" they we're like "We didn't say that... oh wait nvm we did we have the phone call on our database. We're sorry send it in"

I made the mistake of sending it in with no OS and all they did was reformat it for me but didn't check for anything else. However I know my battery was fine as it had a slight charge to it when I turned it on.

I didn't bother sending in the new adapter though primarily because I read a website that diagnosed this as the actual (x-size) mm adapter is not working... so I spliced the one off the broken adapter and put it on the new one... nothing except a few spikes of power here and there when the wires were fiddled with.

I turned it on and it still worked until the battery died again. Now it's been about a year from then, hopefully it hasn't fully discharged, but we'll see if I buy a new adapter.

However, what's for sure is the old adapters are fried both internally and also externally because the spliced wire cannot be salvaged... and I threw them away I think. (Power adapter did say 100V - 240V though I remember that)

So in conclusion, the debate is:

Buy a new $50 adapter for a netbook that has:
-no more warranty
-a small 8.9" Monitor
-160GB HDD
-Weighs 3.09lbs
-Wireless b/g only
-Max 7 hour battery (Max Achieved 6 hours... probably much less now)

vs.

Buy a new netbook for $350:
-1 Year warranty on everything
-Bigger 10.1" Monitor
-250GB HDD + 500GB online storage
-Weighs 2.80 lbs
-Wireless b/g/n
-Max 14 Hour battery (?? IRL ??)

Those are the key differences everything else is either irrelevant or the same.

That or I could go without a netbook entirely xD... The only downside is that if my host family has no computer it kinda would be inconvenient to use my cell phone for the internet all the time... Assuming I have a cell phone (highly likely).

I mean my budget is stretched with a plane ticket to pay for and only about $2.7k saved up thus far.

netbook 2010/5/24 14:02
I think it depends on how you plan on getting internet in Japan. You mention that your host family doesn't have a computer so I'm assuming that they have no internet.

Unless you plan to be doing most of your surfing at the rare free wifi spots, of via paid wifi spots, you're going to need to get an internet plan (either landline based or mobile based). If you sign up for any of these plans at an electronics store you can get a 30,000 yen discount off the purchase of a new computer. However, internet costs around 5000-10000 yen a month depending on the plan, so its not exactly saving you money unless you were going to get the internet anyway.

If that's not an option then I would say stick with your current netbook. The differences don't seem big enough to me to justify the $300 difference.

Just to clarify... 2010/5/24 14:13
The only downside is that if my host family has no computer it kinda would be inconvenient to use my cell phone for the internet all the time... Assuming I have a cell phone (highly likely).

Please don't take this as being a smart-ass, I just wanted to clarify. I don't know where I'm going in Japan so I don't know who/where my host parents are. I also have no idea if they will have internet or not.

netbook 2010/5/24 16:06
My bad, I didn't see the IF. No problem, though cause it doesn't really change things. If they don't have internet and you need internet then get a new netbook in Japan with the discount. If they have the internet then your current netbook will probably suffice.

... 2010/5/24 17:32
If your budget is limited i would try to find out (borrowing from somebody else or so) if the laptop still works (and the battery charges) with another adapter. If everything is working i would buy again another cheap (Chinese) adapter (via eBay or so) or at a fleemarket (or try the local computer store). (I have used several Chines adapters including the 100W type, without any problem).
As you apparently does not use the netbook during 'normal life' i would not buy a new one.
But in case you decide to go for a new one i would buy it back home. It gives you the benefit of warranty and maybe a littlebit lower price. But the main advantage is that you can prepare the computer at home (load all the necessary programs and set the correct settings) and you so do not need to do this during the trip.
I do not know about US-customs but keep also in mind that if you buy a laptop abroad and the customs checks your luggage you might be in for some extra charges (on all your bought stuff).

Stop mentioning US Warranties! 2010/5/25 11:02
IDK if I said this or not, but I'm in Japan for a whole YEAR. MOST netbooks last a YEAR and so I don't see why factoring a US warranty is all that good if I'm in Japan for it's duration...

US Warranty 2010/5/25 12:32
Lets not get upset at those that are trying to help you. B. Slager only included the US warranty in the list of benefits of buying in the US. Since you asked, though...

Its not the actual warranty that may be of benefit to you, but it is service related. Generally, US electronics distributors won't service items bought overseas, so if you ever need your netbook fixed after you've returned to the US then you'll want to have bought in the US. You're netbook will likely spend most of its useful life in the US, and is more likely to need service after the first year. However, you can always mail it to the US to get fixed should it end up needing service while you're in Japan.

In your case, though, I think a warranty isn't important enough alone to justify a new netbook, and most of the key differences you've listed are minor or irrelevant as well. The only issue is storage space, but that can easily be resolved with a cheap external HDD, but you really only need that if you find yourself running out of space.

I recommend saving your money for now. Come with your current netbook and a new powercord, and see if it fills your needs. If not then start looking for something in Japan once you know what your needs really are.

ones again: warranty 2010/5/26 02:40
Most of the time if you buy a gadget in Japan it only has a warranty for Japan. If you buy the same product in Europe most of the time you get a world-wide warranty (including Japan). I do not know what the warranty most of the time covers in the US (i am obvious from Europe) but as you see there is a difference.
And BTW i never worry warranty. If something brakes it is a good reason/excuse to buy a newer 'state of the art' gadget ;-) And from now on I'll never mention warranty again in this item.
B. Slager

I wasn't trying to sound abrassive 2010/5/26 14:46
When I made my comment about "Just disregard warranties please American vs. ASUS" I didn't mean to sound abrassive.

Most of the time all problems I have with my netbook are software related and I can fix. If it's hardware related well then there's a problem but by the time this happens the warranty is expired anyways.

So... my point is I find it moot to factor it into my purchase hence why I was asking for those advising me (which I appreciate your time and effort!) to please do the same.

Thank you!

-Derek

reply to this thread