Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Mansions 2010/5/20 19:36
Iwas wondering if there are any mansions in japan, I heard that all the houses are really small . Ive been trying to find some online but cant . if there are then plz tell me the website where i can view them.
thnx
by samrina  

. 2010/5/21 13:55
Mansion is another word for apartment. Not much bigger than a regular apartment.
by . (guest) rate this post as useful

Meaning 2010/5/21 14:11
As the above poster said, the word "mansion" in Japan refers to an apartment in a large apartment building (usually well built). It doesn't have the meaning of a large house like in the West.

To answer your question, yes there are many mansions (very large houses) throughout Japan. The majority of houses in the larger cities are smaller than those in Western cities, however many do exist. ALthough their size may be similar to those in the West, their design may differ greatly.
Sorry but I don't know of any websites.
by Smoke (guest) rate this post as useful

Hatoyama hall 2010/5/21 14:23
Are you wanting to buy, or just see pictures of large houses in Japan? As above, using the word mansion will only lead to confusion, since mansion basically means apartment here.

If you just want pictures, have a look at Hatoyama Hall in Tokyo here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hatoyama_Hall

Hatoyama Hall is/was the family home of a political family- the current Prime Minister Yukio Hatoyama is a member.

As you can see, the building is more or less entirely western-style.
by Sira (guest) rate this post as useful

Gackt 2010/5/22 21:00
Japanese singer Gackt has been showing off his house lately. I guess you can call this a modern mansion. He also has dozens of snowboards lined on his hallway wall.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qwrWmTMZ3zg
by Uco (guest) rate this post as useful

Mansion vs. manshon 2010/6/7 17:12
Hi, asking about mansions in Japan is like asking for chips in England - the word exists, but the meaning is slightly different.

You probably know that a "manshon" in Japan is basically a condominium, purchasable at a real estate company. "manshon"-type apartments are available for rent, but the typification is hazy since it's not for sale. Some companies use "manshon type" to make it seem like it's bigger than a regular apartment when in reality it isn't!

Now the English word "mansion" in Japanese I would say is "yashiki"@i‰ฎ•~jand there are plenty of them in Japan. Traditionally, rich people or inheritors of early modern Japanese elites have the good fortune of living in such a large house. However, I have yet to see a house in Japan that amounts to Bruce Wayne's Wayne Manor or Scrooge McDuck's mansion in Duckburg but of course those are themselves exaggerated to fit the characters. Therefore, if you are looking for a Japanese mansion, you need look no farther than your nearest residential area, the ones surrounded with shrubs and equipped with automatic gates. They may even be under your nose!
*not to confuse with those big Japanese-style houses, which may be yashiki as well, but Japan has lots of Western style mansions somewhat shrunk to Japan-size if you get my meaning.
by jmarkley rate this post as useful

reply to this thread