Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

(re)naturalization? laywers? 2010/5/21 02:03
Hi.
I was born to Japanese parents in Japan and had a Japanese passport. Since then, I moved to USA and has been natualized here. I reported this to the Japanese embassy (as the law requires it, I believe) and so I lost my Japanese citizenship.
Now the problem is that I wish to have my Japanese citizenship back. I've been gathering info on how possibly to do this. The Japanese ministry that deals with this has very detailed rules posted on the web so I have some idea. I also asked the ministry and they say what the web says.., i.e. I have to live in Japan for at least 5 years and go through "kika" (naturalization) process. They also implied the length (5-years) may be different since I am an ex-Japanese, but didn't say how long. As of now, it will be impossible for me to move to Japan, so I am wondering if there is any other possible way to do this. Another thing is that I have a child that was born after I got naturalized here but before I reported it to the Japanese embassy, and I am wondering how she can get Japanese citizenship as well. The main concern here is "would the ministry consider me as Japanese at the time of her birth or not?" If so, there's a less strict rule that can apply for her naturalization process.
Has anyone gone through similar? or know good immigration lawyer that maight be able to help?
Thanks a bunch.
by monica1981  

Japanese descent? 2010/5/22 15:21
Since you are of Japanese descent, different rules may apply. I remember that, at the time, there was quite a discussion when Alberto Fujimori, president of Peru at the time and of Japanese descent, ran away to Japan after being accused of corruption in his country and received the Japanese nationality almost instantly because he could claim Japanese parents.
by Pentax (guest) rate this post as useful

. 2010/5/22 22:00
Monica's situation is quite different from Fujimori's. Fujimori was born a Japanese national and never renounced it. When he fled to Japan the Minister of Justice simply confirmed that he was still Japanese. Monica automatically lost her Japanese citizenship when she became an American. She now has to move to Japan and apply for citizenship.
by . (guest) rate this post as useful

Not Worth It ! 2010/5/27 02:37
Monica,

If you were a Japan citizen at the time of your child's birth and you did timely registered her in your koseki,,, she is entitled to a Japan citizenship upto her 22nd birthdate.

Regard to re-obtaining the citizenship for yourself,,, since you have renounced the Japan citizenship,,, requirement for Japan citizenship is more stringent than a typical foreigner,,, longer permanent residency and renouncing of U.S. citizenship.
by Jane (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread