Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

-taku mo naraa 2010/5/21 13:14
1) A father and his son have an argument over the son's neglect of his schoolwork. Later, the son is reading a newspaper about an airplane and wonders how it can fly so quickly. The father replies:

応用数学で説明がつく勉強するのだな

(This is in a manga voice balloon, with no punctuation given. I suspect there is a line break after "tsuku", but I am leaving the words as written.)

Does he mean here "The explanation involves mathematics, which you should be studying [but aren't]" or "The explanation involves mathematics, which you are studying"?

2) An artist is going over a long digression about her interpretation of the relationship between two characters. In the end, she says:

そらグレたくもならあね...

I understand the use of "sora" ("sore wa") and the meaning of "gureru", but the "-taku mo naraa" structure is unfamiliar to me. I see, though, that it is in common use. Is it just a variant on the "-taku mo naru" form?

Thank you for any help.
by Blenheim (guest)  

... 2010/5/21 23:13
I take it to be:
応用数学で説明がつく。
勉強するのだな。
... which means:
- That can be explained through applied mathematics.
You should study that.

そらグレたくもならあね...
in textbook style it is (yes, you've got it right):
それは ぐれたくもなるよね。
...meaning:
- no wonder you want to go delinquent/go off on your own way.
by AK rate this post as useful

... 2010/5/22 08:36
Thanks very much.
by Blenheim (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread