Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Indian as English teachers 2010/5/22 20:43
Hi, my name's Prabhat Ram from India. I'm a BE (Computer Engineering) graduate, and have recently finished my TEFL online certification program, along with a complementary Teaching Young Learner's course. I'm very much interested in teaching English in Japan, but am uncertain about the prospects a guy of my origin has. The prevalent factor is that a candidate need to be a native speaker, which I'm not. So, I'd like anyone and everyone to help me out in this regard. Firstly, are there decent enough schools who'd consider my candidacy? If yes, can anyone be kind enough to direct me in the right direction?

Thank you.
by prabhatdreamz  

Non native 2010/5/23 13:07
Hello Prabhat,

It is possible for non-native English speakers to get jobs teaching in Japan. You would need at least an undergraduate degree along with proof that you studied in English for a significant amount of time.

The problem however is that there is currently a glut of English teachers in Japan. There are far more people looking for jobs then there are jobs available. You will have to compete with all these native speakers for the same positions. Unless you have some sort of special qualification it would be very difficult to be chosen over a native speaker, regardless of how good your English may be.

On a final note, while this is increasingly rare, a few schools also dislike hiring non-whites. This has to do with them wanting to sell a "foreign image" (which for some reason translates into a caucasian look). In any case good luck in your search.
by nsmith4 (guest) rate this post as useful

Thx a ton 2010/5/23 21:16
Thanks for your prompt reply. As I stated in my previous post, I do have a degree in Computer Engineering. So, qualifications need not be a hindrance for me, but as you clearly point out, being a non-native might seriously hamper my chances. Anyway, I'll keep trying to find one such school in some decent corner of Japan, where they don't give a damn about my skin colour.

Thanks again.
by prabhatdreamz rate this post as useful

Teaching Job 2010/5/24 08:33
Prabhan,

more negative information, sorry, but ....

As was mentioned before already, yup, it won't be easy. Too many who want to teach in the "land-of-the-not-always-rising-sun" and not enough students.

Besides, are you sure you want to go to a country where the economy is very sluggish, where language schools close "en masse" (see NOVA, GEOS and so on). So, you might want to think twice before you make the final step! Come over here for a visit, check out the situation, get with possible employers and then make your decision.
by kulachan rate this post as useful

That was quite an infotainment :) 2010/5/25 03:04
Anyway, I appreciate your valuable inputs. However, Japan wasn't my first choice; it was Korea. But after the needed thorough research and the discriminatory revelations about their obsession over skin color, I had to opt for the next best option, and Japan seemed to fit the bill. I even read a couple of articles hailing the efforts of handful of institutes who dared to go against the norms, and hire non-native teachers. So, Japan seemed like an achievable target. But, as usual, the gradual revelations always distorts the picture. For a while there, I even thought of going to China, but those guys too prefer Caucasians. I seem to be running out of countries where I can make a decent living in return for the efforts I put in. So, I'd really be grateful if any of you could suggest me a decent country where my origins won't work against my prospects, and where I could make a good enough living with sufficient saving opportunities.

P.S.(@kulachan): I don't have the financial luxury to visit another country and get the feel of the ground reality, or try my luck.

... 2010/5/25 08:18
Excuse me, but you seem to be mixing up two things: (1) being a native speaker of the English language or not and (2) skin color.

(1) Normally native speakers of the English language are in demand as English language teachers. (OK, there is this argument that non-native
speakers who have learned the language themselves KNOW the challenge of learning it, so that they might make better teachers, but anyway that's what the schools want as qualification.) Non-native speakers *may* be considered if you've received your education (10, 12 years, from elementary school to high school, etc.) in a country where English is the primary language, and maybe already have English language teaching experience.
For example, Japanese nationals with plenty of years of living/studying in a country where English is the primary language and probably with TEFL qualifications/experience will have a different kind of advantage that they do not need to be sponsored for a visa to teach in Japan and that they can explain (if needed) in the Japanese language. By the way, online TEFL course may not be the best of all courses, considering that it cannot give you any firsthand experience interacting with real students.

(2) Nationality (well, some schools might prefer UK nationals for their accent, for example, though) or skin color should not matter if you qualify.
The first thing is if you are (considered) a native speaker of the English language or not. Your question asking "are there decent enough
schools who'd consider my candidacy?" sounds like you are certain that you qualify, but a review of your CV (of course without having met you or heard your English) would likely lead to an I'm-sorry-but-no answer, if you say you are not a native speaker.

Another factor that might come into play for non-natives but "near" native speakers might be whether they have other visa status already (Dependent, or Spouse of Japanese, etc.) so that the employers don't have to sponsor them for a working visa.

Currently, as others have pointed out, many English teachers (already with a working visa and with experience teaching in Japan) are looking for jobs, so it is not going to be an easy time for non-native speakers of English to compete amongst them, or even native English speakers to come to Japan to find a teaching job for the first time.

Please search this forum with "non-native" to read other threads on this issue; also, I'm sure someone else can come up to suggest other useful
sites, whose names escape me now, on teaching English in Japan.
by AK rate this post as useful

. 2010/5/25 09:07
I've met a Jamaican JET English teacher at my home town Junior high school. It is located a way out in the middle of nowhere in Kyushu. A big city is about one hr. away. He didn't have any Jamaican accent, though.
I also met some Australian & NZ English teachers on their way from Korea to Japan for visa extensions. But they were worried they maybe let go due to their heavy accents. They also heard of someone not getting paid in Korea.
by ay (guest) rate this post as useful

Hmm 2010/5/25 11:28
(@ AK) Well, if you frequent all the TEFL forums, or read anything of that sort, you should know that "skin colour" is what almost every school in Korea base their decisions on (Read the post again, the skin colour reference was made while describing the situation in Korea, and not in general). It doesn't matter if you're an African-American. Schools in Korea have the belief that Caucasians are true native-speakers, notwithstanding their variable accent and their teaching ability. If they're white, their job's almost secured. About the "decent" remark; why, should I have asked about "bad" schools where my candidacy will be considered? Is it a crime for a guy to strive for the next best thing, if not the best? If accent is considered, well, then I'm not a qualified teacher, and same goes for more than 50% of American candidates that fly to Korea for a year-long stint of EFL teaching. However, they're given a chance to prove their ability, and a guy of any skin colour other than white isn't. So, please tell me, am I wrong to comment about "skin colour" being a decisive factor in picking teachers in Korea? As far as qualification is considered, all my life, I've been educated in an English medium school. But, I'm damn sure this won't count while considering my qualifications, simply because I'm not a native speaker (read "white" in most cases).

You're bang on target about the accent part. Schools look for accent most of the times, American, to be precise. Schools tend to believe that if you're an American, you're bound to be a qualified teacher; at least in Korea they do.

I know it's not a walk in the park for a guy of my origin to get an EFL job in Japan, or most of the other countries out there. Hence the request of suggesting other countries where I could get a decent job in a DECENT school.

I may be right on some counts, and wrong on others, but all I want is some info about the places I may be considered, with a handsome probability of success.

... 2010/5/25 19:18
- Excuse me if my post irritated you, but I am not a regular visitor to the TEFL forums, and did not know about the situation in Korea. (I have been trained as an English language teacher, but am not teaching.) That is a deplorable situation in Korea.

- If you can show that you have been educated in an English-medium school all your life, then there is a fair chance that you can claim that you are at a native-equivalent, if not a native speaker. (I still refuse to equate "native speaker" with "white," at least for Japan.)

- Accents - some schools prefer British accents, some prefer American accents, but being a certain national NEVER guarantees that one is going to be a good language teacher.

- Then the only things remaining are, for one, the hiring situation now in Japan - it is simply not a good timing with all other already experienced teachers available IN Japan (with another one of the English conversation schools having gone under). Another thing is the visa - for you, the company needs to sponsor you for a working visa, while for other teachers who have been made redundant in Japan already have that visa necessary. I believe that for Indian nationals (sorry if I'm misinformed) even for a Temporary Visitor status you need to apply for a visa beforehand; that makes it difficult for you to simply come (like some other nationals can) and get interviews, look for a job, and change the visa status.

I'm not saying it's impossible - I'm just saying that it is not easy, and laying down what I know about the situation in Japan. Please have a look at Dave's ESL Cafe - now I recall the name - they provide a lot of practical information about teaching the language. Good luck with everything.
by AK rate this post as useful

... 2010/5/25 20:54
(@ AK) Yes, I've been educated throughout my life in an English medium school. I know what hurdles non-native speakers encounters while taking on such an endeavor, but, and I'm reiterating here, I would like to know, if anyone on this forum knows of a country, where I do stand a chance of being actually considered, and hopefully, interviewed.

Yes, even I've visited Dave's ESL cafe a number of times. It's indeed a mecca for hopeful teachers like me. I've uploaded my resume, but haven't yet heard from anyone. All I do is keep my fingers crossed, and looks like that's the only thing I can do as of now.

Please view from the other side 2010/5/26 02:43
It seems to me you are only looking from a job seeker's point of view. You may think competent & qualified to teach & you may be.
But look from the hiring side.
Often many so-called English teachers in Japan are neither qualified nor have the right education/experience as teaching requires special training & talent.
There was a time (~40 yrs ago) anybody who spoke English were hired to teach at private schools or corporations. ($100/hr was on-going rate, then).
The other issue is that you are not only bringing the English language knowledge & teaching skill but also the historical, cultural & societal backgrounds with you. British or Americans are well sought because these countries have provided the major influence to the modern Japan, culturally & technologically. And Japanese business is competing against these first class developed countries. The hiring side would be looking to cultivate the future personal development of their students(at least the justification), i.e. broad education, advanced education, international business, etc.
If you are hiring, what would you do, especially in these days of the buyers market?
by ay (guest) rate this post as useful

teaching English 2010/5/26 07:44
This has got all very complicated, but it doesn't have to be. Yes, schools here do hire people not from the "main" English-speaking countries (i.e. the US, Australia, NZ, Canada and UK), and they definitely hire non-Caucasians- while there will be some schools who are exceptions, Japan is quite a bit more progressive than Korea as far as that goes. It's definitely not the case that all/most schools are looking for Americans- there are hordes of Australians, British people and New Zealanders here, myself included.

I have Pakistani and Filipino friends who have worked as ALTs and eikaiwa teachers here, so it is definitely possible to be hired if you aren't from the one of the usual countries.

As above though, the market is very competitive now, so it can take some time.

After reading your posts, I'd like to make a suggestion- one thing you might want to be careful with in your applications and cover letters is not overusing high level vocabulary and expressions- you are very well-written and your level of vocabulary shows in your posts, but if you write your cover letters in the same tone you might be overlooked- not all recruiters are native English speakers, and native English-speaking recruiters might think you will have trouble bringing your language down to a level that a beginner will understand if you write in too educated and formal a way.

Don't overdo the educated English- keep your writing friendly, to the point, and at a level where it shows that you can express yourself well without using too many long words.

Good luck with your applications.
by Sira (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread