Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Military spouse visiting Japan 2010/5/25 19:51
I am in the military stationed here in atsugi. my wife wants to visit me and she is not a US Citizen but she has a green card and a dependent military ID. does she need to obtain a visa before comming over here or is she automatically SOFA visa. please anybody, give me some info.
by ttko4u  

Re: Military spouse visiting Japan 2010/5/26 14:43
Assuming that she is from a country that is not on the list of countries that have a visa exemption agreement with Japan, she'll need to get a visa for Japan. The best would be to contact the Japanese embassy in the country in which she is living currently, the US I assume.

Having a USA Green Card doesn't mean anything for Japan, but a dependent military ID might help when applying for the visa to help justify the visit.

by Hoshisato rate this post as useful

Visa 2010/5/26 14:47
Since you are in the military maybe it would be best to check with your JAG office! They should be able to give you the answers. Don't rely on "maybes" here!! A Green Card and US military dependant one should definitely make it easier!
by kulachan rate this post as useful

SOFA 2010/5/26 15:51
What is your wife's citizenship and how long does she plan to stay? If she is from a visa waiver country and plans to stay less than 90 days then she can come on a regular tourist visa instead.

Otherwise check the forums as there are lots of questions about SOFA visa waivers. One thing that is always recommend is to check with your base as they should be able to help you with the procedures and paperwork.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

Ask you JAG! 2010/5/27 00:41
You dont need to be asking here, you need to be talking to your Family Support Office or the JAG at your base. They are the only ones who can give you the offiicial answer.
by cf (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread