Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Letter passage translation check 2010/5/27 12:28
An acquaintance is conducting an e-mail interview with a musician and wants to send a follow-up e-mail. Below is part of the message; I'd like a check of the translation, if possible.

Original:

"A few more questions:

1. When you return the interview, can you please include a recent picture of you?

2. Does [the company for whom the musician works] need to approve the contents of the interview?

3. Does [company] need to approve any pictures we use related to the previous projects you worked on?"

もう少し質問してもよろしいですか。

1. ご返信に最近の写真をご添付いただけますと幸いでございます。
2. インタビューを掲載する前にその内容に[company]の承認を得ることが必要でございますか。
3. [company]から前の仕事に関して写真の使用許可を得ることが必要でございますか。

I've been told that "sono naiyou ni" is the way to go, but it doesn't look correct to me. Would a better way be "...[company]がその内容を承認する必要でございますか"? "...その内容が[company]の承認をいただくことが必要でございますか"?

Also, am I overdoing the "gozaimasu"?

Thanks for any help.
by Blenheim (guest)  

... 2010/5/27 19:44
When you say you are doing an e-mail interview, you are sending a list of questions to the musician, and the musician is returning his reponses via e-mail, right?

- For "A few more questions," I might suggest 何点か確認とお願いです。 because your sentence 1 (the way it is written in Japanese) is actually a request.

- And when you say "the interview" in question 2, you mean the "article based on the interview," correct? I would suggest インタビュー記事 in question 2 (In Japanese, インタビュー is what you conduct, and インタビュー記事 is the what you write up based on the interview.)

- 2 is fine the way it is with その内容に・・・承認を得る with the above change with インタビュー記事. That is the best way, I think. I might use は instead of が to say:
インタビュー記事を掲載する前に、その内容にcompanyの承認を得ることは必要でしょうか。

If you want to use other sentence structures, the following will also be OK (based on your two other sentences):
Companyがその内容を承認する必要はありますか
その内容にcompanyの承認をいただくことは必要でしょうか

- For 3., just to be sure that it's the "pictures" that are related to your "previous work," I might suggest a slight change:
[company]から、前の仕事に関わる写真の使用許可を得ることは必要でしょうか。

- I would omit "gozaimasu" :) In the above sentences, I am using "...deshou ka" to make it not as straight as "..desu ka," though.
by AK rate this post as useful

... 2010/5/27 22:10
Thank you very much. You're always a great help.
by Blenheim (guest) rate this post as useful

... 2010/5/27 22:22
One more question: would どうぞお元気で be too informal a closing for a message of this type?

. 2010/5/28 01:17
何点か確認とお願いです。 Must be a typo. 何点か確認をお願いです。
インタビュー記事 I'd say インタビューの記事
1. ご返信に最近の写真をご添付いただけますと幸いでございます。 I'd say ご返信に最近の頭部写真を添付頂けますと幸いです。But it is a weak request. A little stronger. ご返信に最近の頭部写真の添付をお願いします。
2. インタビューの記事を掲載する前に、その内容に尽いてcompanyの承認を得ることは必要でしょうか。
3. [company]から、過去の仕事に関わる写真の使用許可を得ることは必要でしょうか。
by ay (guest) rate this post as useful

... 2010/5/28 07:18
ay,
I did mean 何点か確認「と」お願いです。because the three sentences include questions (to be confirmed) and a request.
by AK rate this post as useful

. 2010/5/28 09:34
Then, I'd say お願いと確認の追加です。
The ending would be 宜しくお願いします。
by ay (guest) rate this post as useful

... 2010/5/28 11:32
Thank you both.

reply to this thread