Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

U.S. vs. Japan Citizenship 2010/5/28 14:47
I searched on the forums for any information regarding this, but what I found didn't really get into as much detail as I'd hoped.

I will apologize ahead of time for my bluntness, but every time I ask on various forums the same pattern occurs so I'm trying to actually GET some answers rather than a face full of "WHY!?".

DO NOT QUESTION ME ON WHETHER OR NOT IT'S A GOOD DECISION I'M JUST ASKING FOR FACTUAL DETAILS. EVERY TIME I TRY TO ASK FOR INFORMATION ON THIS MATTER EVERYONE ASKS THE "IS IT WORTH IT?" QUESTION AND IN THE END NOTHING GETS ACCOMPLISHED.

Please don't feel as though I'm yelling at you in the last paragraph, I've just been frustrated with trying to find out more information on this topic.

For those that are going to ask the question that dooms us all anyway, let's go hypothetical.

Let's just say I've been living in Japan for a year and decide I like the way Japan works, how the people are, the living conditions etc. and throughout all this I've begun to realize how much I dislike the U.S.

Let's go further and say that in my year I've become fluent somehow in both spoken and written Japanese. (Sounds like a dream doesn't it xD... hence why it's hypothetical).

Finally Let's say I'm 24 as well.

To begin with, what are the Japanese naturalization rules/processes that I would have to go through. Include as much detail as possible please.

Then also what would be the changes in lifestyle faced by being a Japanese citizen in Japan vs. being an American Citizen working in Japan on a visa? (Like is there a difference in taxes, if so good or bad and how much. As far as kids go if they want Japanese citizenship... so on so forth).

Please be as specific as possible if at all possible.

Thank you so very much for your help!

Anonymous
by Anonymous (guest)  

naturalization 2010/5/28 17:23
To begin with, what are the Japanese naturalization rules/processes that I would have to go through. Include as much detail as possible please.

You need to live in Japan for at least 5 consecutive years, be able to support yourself financially or have a financial supporter, and renounce your previous citizenships.

Then also what would be the changes in lifestyle faced by being a Japanese citizen in Japan vs. being an American Citizen working in Japan on a visa? (Like is there a difference in taxes, if so good or bad and how much. As far as kids go if they want Japanese citizenship... so on so forth).

Realistically there will be little to no difference than say to a permanent resident visa, or other long term visas. Your lifestyle will be the same, your taxes the same. The main difference is that you will be able to vote in national and local elections. Permanent residents may soon be able to vote in local elections, however, so that will lessen the differences if that right is granted.

As for your children, Japan practices Jus sanguinis, or citizenship by blood. Children must be born of a Japanese parent to gain Japanese citizenship. If your partner is Japanese and you keep your current citizenship then your children would be able to obtain dual citizenship.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

time in Japan 2010/5/28 17:48
I can confirm what yllwsmrf says above. If you are not married to a Japanese national and haven't been in Japan for at least 10 years, or made a major contribution to your community, then you will not even be considered for permanent residence let alone citizenship. I think it's obvious why- from the point of view of the authorities, with only one year in Japan a person has hardly made a visible commitment or formed any real attachments to a country.

If you are married to a Japanese national PR can be applied for but may not necessarily be granted after around 3 years in Japan. It would then most likely be several more years before a citizenship application would be considered.

Citizenship being an even greater level of commitment to the country, usually requires more time in Japan than PR. Unless you are a top soccer player or sumo wrestler then you would most likely be expected to take the preliminary step of getting PR before a citizenship application would be considered.

So basically your next step after spending a year in Japan and deciding you wish to become a Japanese citizen at some point is to then spend a lot more time in Japan, making sure you behave extremely well all the time. Getting involved in local community activities so that you establish a positive presence would help your future PR and citizenship applications as well.

A change in lifestyle to add to the above is that you would no longer need to carry an alien registration card. A possible negative result of this is if you are asked for your card by the police (it can happen from time to time) and cannot produce it you may have a very hard time convincing them that you are in fact a Japanese citizen until someone can bring your passport to show them, since so few people born outside Japan ever take this step.

Otherwise basically you get to vote in elections and don't have to be fingerprinted at the airport on coming into Japan.
by Sira (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: U.S. vs. Japan Citizenship 2010/5/29 04:26
I don't know how how outdated the following article is, but very likely not much has changed: http://www.debito.org/residentspage.html#naturalization
by Boris (guest) rate this post as useful

Also... 2010/5/29 05:59
Things for people who want Permanent Resident visas, making contributions to Japan and being well behaved, I'm sure it's similar if you want to be a citizen...

Guidelines for Permission for Permanent Residence (March 31, 2006)
www.immi-moj.go.jp/english/tetuduki/zairyuu/guide_residence.html

Successful/Unsuccessful Applicants for Permanent Residence Status based on their Contribution to Japan (as of July 1, 2005)
"By evaluating applicant's contribution to Japan, the immigration control authority has granted or denied the permanent residence status to the following cases." (A list with explanations follows.)
www.immi-moj.go.jp/english/tetuduki/zairyuu/eizyuu.html

Guidelines for Contribution to Japan (March 31, 2006)
www.immi-moj.go.jp/english/tetuduki/zairyuu/contribution.html
by Reina Jess rate this post as useful

Ah, I see... 2010/5/30 05:56
Thank you everyone for giving me helpful information (Finally!). I'll have to live here a little bit longer before I make any moves I guess.

Thank you very much!
どうもありがとうございます!
by Anonymous (OP) (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread