Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Visiting Japan after being denied entry? 2010/5/31 14:57
Last September I was "denied entry" to Japan after staying in the country over the "180 days per year" rule. I was waiting for my COE, which ended up being very late. I was supposed to start school in October. Despite this, I was denied entry and told to wait for the COE and student visa in America (US citizen). They did not stamp anything in my passport at all. They didn't say I was "banned" either. I returned to Japan with my student visa in November. After about 1 month, I got really sick and had to come back to the US. I did not have a re-entry permit and I have not gone back to Japan since. I am planning on visiting Japan next month as a tourist. Will I be denied entry again? Given the circumstances, I think it will be okay but there is no way to be sure. Does anyone have any past experience or knowledge on this? Thanks.
by MN (guest)  

yes 2010/5/31 22:15
You can still enter and they will give u that tourist visa upon landing.

Those who leave without the re-entry permit automatically have whatever visa they have, revoked and have to go through the visa process again or come back as a tourist.

by Reina Jess rate this post as useful

... 2010/6/1 02:53
I think you were denied "extension of stay" after having stayed for 180 days in Japan as a tourist. Since you were issued with a student visa later on, it showed that your case had been cleared without any doubt on your study intention.

You had only stayed about one month as a student before you returned to US without applying for a re-entry permit. It seems that the story is not fully told as you didn't mention the continuation of your studies and why you didn't seek entry again soon after your illness.

Of course you can try your luck and enter again as a visitor which I am sure you are not going for the purpose of sighseeing. However, once you want to apply something with immigration, your record will show everything and your real intention may be in doubt.

So think twice on what you should do. If your real intention is to continue your studies or to take up employment, why not apply for a relevant visa with the Japanese consulate before yo go!
by TW (guest) rate this post as useful

Reply 2010/6/1 20:04
A few things..My school really hasn't been helpful at all since the beginning. I'm still trying to sort a few things out with them. My fiance came to the US with me, as well. I'm not planning on working or studying on this visa. I'd honestly just like to be able to see my fiance's family again and many other things. Also worth noting; when I arrived on my student visa I checked the box where it asked if you were previously deported or denied entry to Japan. I checked 'yes' and the person at the immigration counter looked really puzzled and asked me if I was sure. Any other ideas?
by MN (guest) rate this post as useful

well, 2010/6/1 21:34
Technically you weren't denied entry. All they said was go home,wait on your Visa, then come back.

They didnt stamp anything in your passport saying denied entry right?

So it's basically like you never went to japan at all. And they have no record of it.

Then you came back with your student visa, and left early, no re entry permit, forfeiting the visa. Which is fine, people do it all the time purposely or not.

That has nothing to do with the new visit.

And you plan on going back to America within 90 days right? Although I doubt it would be suspicious at all to them if you changed status again to student or spouse.

People do that all the time as well, when they forfeit their student visas and need another one. You aren't really denied anything unless you're some kind of criminal or something. And they would stamp it in your passport

.. 2010/6/1 21:39
So stop telling them you were denied entry on that card, because they did let you in, just a month later. There's no record of the first visit.

... 2010/6/2 00:33
Now I get a better picture of your case. You got mixed up with the terminology of "extension of stay", "visa application" and "denied entry"and you presented a problem to the immigration officer upon entry with a student visa endorsed on your passport.

I would say you should be OK on the intended trip as a visitor so long as you won't apply to immigration for change of status within your limitation of stay. Of course, be prepared to answer questions at the airport like: "Are you coming back as a student? Why didn't you apply for a re-entry permit before you left? For what purpose you come again?" "How long you will stay this time?" Remember, never say you had been denied entry again. You just chose to wait for the COE and student visa at home in US if asked.
by TW (guest) rate this post as useful

. 2010/6/2 14:05
Thanks for the replies..
Just to clarify, here is the whole story..
1. Stayed nearly 180 total days(not consecutive) on tourist visa in 2009. Mostly due to late processing of COE and visa.
2. School recommended I leave and come back, so I wouldn't overstay.
3. I came back to Japan in Sept 09 and immigration said I stayed too many days on a tourist visa. I could not get another tourist visa this year. I had to go back to the US and wait for my visa/COE(if it was accepted). No stamp in passport, at all.
4. Visa finally came in November. Returned to Japan with no problems.
5. Left in December without re-entry permit.
6. Planning to go back to Japan as a tourist this month.

About changing status..I might want to do that later this year, but not on this trip. I will have to see how everything goes.

So, looking at everything that has happened, it seems like it will most likely be okay? Thanks again.

Also 2010/6/4 03:36
I also forgot to ask..Is entering under the VWP(Visa Waiver Program) safe enough? Since I technically wasn't denied entry? I could apply for a temporary visitor visa but I'd rather not have to go through that..Thanks.

reply to this thread