Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Strange translation question 2010/6/5 09:09
Hi guys,

I've been studying Japanese for a very long time, but there's something my dad has always wanted to know how to say (as a joke) that I've never been able to help him with. As I'm about to graduate university, I finally want to be able to tell him how to say it. It's silly, but bear with me:

"Eat flames, Yankee dog!"

This has been difficult for me because of the different connotation that 'Yankee' has in English as opposed to Japanese, and the fact that the entire thing is really slangy, so I'm worried about being TOO literal.

I would really appreciate any help--translations in kana would actually be preferred, especially if there's kanji involved, just so I can see how it would actually be written. But, feel free to romanize, too.

I'm sorry for the strange question, but thank you for reading!
by SephiChan  

here's a few candidates + extra 2010/6/11 14:53
Hi there, I like translating but sometimes you can't fully express it literally from E to J.
See if these work for you:
"Eat Flames, Yankee Dog!"
焼き死ぬがいい、アメ公め!
やきしぬがいい、あめこうの犬め!
yakishinu ga ii, ame-ko no inu me!
Lit. - Burn to death you American Dog!

炎を食らえ、このアメリカ人め!
ほのおをくらえ、このあめりかじんめ!
honoo wo kurae, kono amerika-jin me!
Lit. Eat Flames, you damned American!

Other insults using animals in place of dog:
豚野郎め!
ぶたやろうめ!
Lit. "damned pig!"

メス豚め!
めすぶため!
Lit. "damned sow" (used against women)

ヤンキー won't work of course since that has a totally different meaning in Japanese = "punk".

I hope this helps you impress your dad!
by jmarkley rate this post as useful

thank you! 2010/6/12 13:19
That's really helpful, thanks for your time!

I'm wondering, though, is there a way to say "Northerner", since that's essentially what a Yankee is (to Americans)? I think that might fit better, since saying "American" doesn't fit so well, I think.
by SephiChan (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread