Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Bargaining at Ameyokocho 2010/6/7 18:15
Hi friends,
Gd day. i will be going to Japan next week and would like to seek your advise. I intend to visit Ameyokocho and but some stuus such as souvenirs. Can anyone advice whether I can bargain or is it fixed price? If bargaining is possible, how much can I lower in terms of percent? Thanks

Regards
Peter
by Peter (guest)  

benkyo shite kudasai 2010/6/9 01:05
You can and I do often if you buy an expensive item or two or more items. Just ask politely but do not nickel & dime. Say "benkyo shite kudasai", meaning study hard.
by amazinga (guest) rate this post as useful

benkyo shite kudasai 2010/6/9 08:43
Say "benkyo shite kudasai", meaning study hard.

Does that have some idiomatic meaning when you're bargaining, or do you mean the original poster should study his prices beforehand?
by ... (guest) rate this post as useful

... 2010/6/9 13:48
To ...,
"Benkyo shimasu" is a colloquial expression meaning "I will give you a discount." So "benkyo shite kudasai" means "Please give me a discount."

At most shops in Ameyoko, they offer goods at pretty good prices already, and I feel that haggling is not appreciated. Of course, if they offer you something at a per piece/package price, and if you say "OK, if I buy 10, what's your best offer?" kind of thing, you might get some discount, though.
by AK rate this post as useful

reply to this thread