Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Engineering Gap year in Japan? 2010/6/8 20:47
Hi, I'm currently studying engineering at university, and have had the option of doing one year abroad. My first thought of course was Japan, because of my long lasting love affair with it. But, would you guys recommend this and if so why? What sort of accomodation is appropiate? A host family maybe? Finally, which universities are renowned for their engineering and are placed in a culturally vibrant spot?

Thank you for your advice, it's greatly appreciated.
by Dalwinderr  

... 2010/6/9 13:59
If you are interested in Japan and if you know the language (to be able to follow classes in Japanese), yes, but does your university have any exchange program or something that you can sign up for without having to go through the entrance exam to a university in Japan?
by AK rate this post as useful

Titech 2010/6/9 16:22
Have you heard of Titech, the Tokyo Institute of Technology? http://www.titech.ac.jp/english/

I worked there as a research student for 4 months. They have lots of engineering courses. I know that two labs are based on sports and robotics engineering.

It's an international uni, so most classes are taught in English. I have a few friends that did their Masters and Doctors course there. There's also an international program that they run each year. I think it's called YSEP or something like that. But I've no idea how difficult it is to get into this uni. I got in because the uni has a special exchange with my uni in the UK and I just had to pass my UK uni's criteria.

But this uni is worth a look. If not, try to look at your own uni and see what student exchange links it has. If not, then ask your professors. Has one of them been to Japan on business, made friends with a Japanese professor while at a conference?

Hope this helps
by Adam (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread