Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

i want to go to japan 2010/6/11 13:12
i want to go to japan when i'm in 10th grade but don't know how. i have relatives over there in Nagoya,Japan and want to stay over there for 2 years for 10th and 11th grade(which would be 2nd and 3rd year high schoolers over there). i want to go over there and be with my aunt and uncle over there and not be with some strangers. how do i go over there with my 2 friends and we all stay over there for 2 years with my aunt.
by animeandmangaotaku  

school in .. 2010/6/11 14:55
Obviously you MUST ask your parents and your aunt. She should know or can find out.
I doubt though that she will be willing to take care of you AND 2 friends, unless she has unlimited funds..
It is a very big responsibility for her too. Do you know her well? do you write to her regularly??

When I was in high school I stayed with grand parents for a few years then with my aunt.
My parents paid for my room and board and other expenses.
First my grand parents, then my aunt, also got a letter signed by my parents, and notarized, making them/ her my temporary legal guardian.
by Monkey see (guest) rate this post as useful

exchange programs? 2010/6/11 15:32
Well, you should start by putting the idea across to your parents and aunt. If you're really serious, do some research at your local Japanese embassy or Japanese consulate general. Look for Monbusho Scholarship, JET Program, etc.

Doesn't your current high school have any exchange program or sister school in Japan that could make the connection without putting it all on your family?

I can't imagine your aunt would agree to take responsibility for all 3 of you - feeding you, etc. I don't mean to sound pessimistic (maybe too late to apologize), but seriously speaking, it seems very unrealistic.

I'd start researching a year in advance all the factors that are involved: Social issues, culture (not anime/manga references) Visa applications and eligibility, letters of recommendation from teachers, passports, international health insurance, school enrollment, tuition, etc.

Actually even for college students, the process can start almost a year in advance depending on what avenues you take (via embassy, uni, direct exchange) and what resources you have.
by jmarkley rate this post as useful

school 2010/6/11 16:06
i want to go to japan when i'm in 10th grade but don't know how. i have relatives over there in Nagoya,Japan and want to stay over there for 2 years for 10th and 11th grade(which would be 2nd and 3rd year high schoolers over there).

Note that the 10th and 11th grades in the US correspond to 1st and 2nd year high school in Japan. Also, if you are currently finishing up your 10th grade year then, depending on the program or school, you may not be able to start as a 1st year or even a 2nd year student due to your age. As others have mentioned, you need time to prepare everything, and the beginning of the next term in April would be a realistic start date. Also, you need to look into how this will effect your post high school educational opportunities. You may find that you will need to complete a final year of high school upon returning to the US

i want to go over there and be with my aunt and uncle over there and not be with some strangers. how do i go over there with my 2 friends and we all stay over there for 2 years with my aunt.

Assuming you've already discussed this with your family, I would agree with others that you should look into exchange programs and international schools. A visa will be one of the first challenges, and these institutions may be able to help you with that.

Also, I probably wouldn't consider public high schools if you do not already speak Japanese. The typical public school is not properly equipped to handle non Japanese speaking students.

If however, you haven't discussed this with your parents yet, then convincing them will be the first major step that you need to overcome before moving further. Their support will be vital at every step of the way.

Look for Monbusho Scholarship, JET Program, etc.

These don't apply to you yet (the first is for high school and university graduates, while the second is for university graduates), but perhaps in a couple of years you can look into them again.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

welll 2010/6/24 06:22
right now i just finished 7th grade and am currently going to the 8th so its 2 years from now. my mom and dad already know about my decision.
by animeandmangaotaku rate this post as useful

study in Japan 2010/6/24 09:15
Well that takes care of the time issues. So that leaves getting permission from your aunt next, and then finding a high school exchange program. Here's one that was posted to the forum a few weeks ago that might interest you:

http://www.seiritsu-int.com/index2.html
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

reply to this thread