Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

How can I move to Japan? 2010/6/15 04:20
I heart that a former cannot have a Japan citizenship because of their constitution, is that true? I would also like to know some of the basic barriers I have from a united stated to a Japan citizenship. Would I also have to give up my citizenship to the US as well? All comments appreciated.
by Goldenflame  

firstly 2010/6/15 10:11
firstly how old are you ? that greatly effects how you can "move to japan" ?

honestly these threads come up almost ever day, you really should search more. but if you are planning to move to japan because life in the US is "hard" for you, and you saw some cool anime and now want to come to japan, think again.

if you are over 20 years old (the age of adult in japan) then most people come here on working visas. depending on your work experience back in america, although most people come to japan to teach english, and honestly its not a well paying job. (an old joke is never tell a girl you are an english teacher LOL).

life for you comming to japan in most cases will be harder than living in the US, particularly if you are one of those (to put it bluntly) "kids that fit the i love japan its the best place ever" stereotype, as they often have lack of motivation when things get hard in life.

please do not come to japan because you think everyone wears kimonos everyday and watching anime is cool etc, as its nothing like that. come to japan because you have a business idea that can really prosper in the japanese market.

anyway sorry im just tired of everyday seeing these "i want to move to japan" threads, so i thought i would give some advice.
by zuoteng rate this post as useful

. 2010/6/15 11:28
I heart that a former cannot have a Japan citizenship because of their constitution, is that true?

A former what? Spy? Sex offender? Farmer?

Would I also have to give up my citizenship to the US as well?

If you become a Japanese citizen, you have to swear to renounce your US citizenship. Unless you're dying to vote in Japan it's not worth it.
by . (guest) rate this post as useful

citizenship? 2010/6/24 04:10
Well the title is ''How can move to Japan?'' but all I am reading is about citizenship? How exactly are you planning to get a Japanese citizenship? and yeah former what? I didn't understand anything
by maiyah (guest) rate this post as useful

citizenship 2010/6/24 09:24
I would also like to know some of the basic barriers I have from a united stated to a Japan citizenship.

The basic requirements to obtain Japanese citizenship are to have:

Resided in Japan for at least five consecutive years (less if married to a Japanese national), have shown good conduct, have never plotted against the Japanese government, have sufficient assets or ability to make an independent living and are willing to renounce any other citizenship held (http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2221.html)

Its not an impossible dream, but there are easier ways to live long term in Japan. The first step would be to visit and see if you even like the country. Then look into visas that allow you to live long term in Japan (most likely a work or spouse visa), and then after 5 years of living in Japan decide whether citizenship or permanent residence is more appropriate for you.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

moving to .. 2010/6/24 14:53
You guys are so harsh...
Goldenflame: Try to find a person that now live in the US but came from another country (legally) and couldn't speak English, or only a few words, and had no friends and relatives that could help him/her. .
You will find out that it was hard, very hard, even though the US, unlike Japan, welcome immigrants...This will make you think twice. Not that you should try to move to Japan...but citizenship should be the last of your worries!

Learning Japanese AND a trade that would be useful in Japan (even though you may have to pass exams in Japanese in order to be allowed to work) should be your goals for the next 4 or 5 years.

Why is it that so many young Americans believe they can just drop in any foreign country, without knowing much about it, and start working etc. ? I know that this is what your ancestors did 150, 200, 300 years ago...God bless them, but in those days things were a lot easier as far as rules and paperwork were concerned..
by Monkey see (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread