Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Japanese Cable on US TV Set 2010/6/15 12:55
Ok, I need to know if I need an adapter for my American TV in order to plug into Japanese Cable system. Because I can't seem to get any channels to register on my American TV here in Japan. I am not looking to watch American TV shows from the states. I just want to get Japanese channels. Please if someone has the answer let me know. thanks
by Damien (guest)  

lol 2010/6/16 08:02
Actually Japan and America uses different airwaves and frequencies, so it wont be able to work in Japan at all.

You'll have to get another TV.

At least that's how it used to be. With this digital tv stuff implemented in the U.S, maybe it's possible with the right type of equipment.... if not,

If you have a flat screen, you dont have to junk it, you could use it as a big computer screen instead....

by Reina Jess rate this post as useful

. 2010/6/16 13:38
I don't recall having any issue 20 yrs. ago.
We had moved from CA, US to Australia and to Japan & back to US. We had a US Sony TV which smoked in Australia even I had a voltage converter there(due to the light weight small high frequency converter, not the usual heavy transformer, which we used after repaired. In Japan we used the same TV and watched Japanese programs but I don't recall having special equipment like a cable box. I do remember a NHK guy coming to collect the fee so we must've had only the TV rabbit ear antenna.

by amazinga (guest) rate this post as useful

. 2010/6/16 15:34
I don't own a tv so I could be wrong but...
You should be able to watch analog tv with no additional equipment. Japan and US both uses NTSC for analog tv.
For digital tv, Japan uses ISDB and US uses something else. If you get a stand alone tuner you should be able to watch digital tv. People can watch digital tv on computers and even on analog televisions so I'm pretty sure you don't need to buy a new tv.
by . (guest) rate this post as useful

2 cents 2010/6/16 16:01
I can not realy help you but can give you some hints.
Some TV's searches for a fix set of channels (mostly depending on a country setting) so maybe your TV is searching the wrong set. Try a manual mode if available or other try some other countries.
That Amazinga TV worked in several countries might depend on the 'smartness' of the TV. For instance -even 20 years ago- TV automatically switched between NTSC or PAL.
If you need a different TV i do not beleive that you can buy simple an adapter. I never heard of such a things for the TV receiving system. This is of cource not true if you have an analog TV and want to use digital (cable) reception. In that case you need an settop box.
You might consider to get a digital subscription. With the aid of the settop box (from the provider) you can use almost any TV (however to benefit from the nicer picture you need of cource a HD(ready) TV).
by B. Slager (guest) rate this post as useful

It should work 2010/6/17 03:41
It should work fine US and Japan both use NTSC, My TV worked and my girlfriends japanese TV worked in America

now if you had a European TV they use PAL rather than NTSC so that may not work.
but as for an American TV you shouldnt have any problems!
by Jsj222 rate this post as useful

. 2010/6/17 06:37
Try installing the cable through a VCR/DVD player using the RCA connections. Make sure the DVD/VCR player is a Japanese one.

I have an Australian television in Japan, it works when you plug it through a Japanese VCR since the signal is now coming from the VCR through standard RCA (you know the Red/white/yellow cables).

by ExpressTrain (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread