Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

max speed of JR trains 2010/6/15 14:37
can anyone tell me the maximum speed of normal JR trains. I don't mean maximum possible speed. I mean maximum allowable speed.
by joseph (guest)  

max allowable speed 2010/6/15 14:52
http://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/JR%E6%9D%B1%E6%97%A5%E6%9C%ACE233%E7%B3%B...
This wikipedia article states the current JR East Japan E233 series of trains operate at a max speed at 120km/hour which curiously is also the max speed for that model's design.
FYI, the minimum running speed is around 5km/hr
by jmarkley rate this post as useful

not correct 2010/6/16 08:25
That figure of 120km/hour is NOT correct.

The Nozomi travels 552.3km from Tokyo-Osaka in 156 min (2.6 hours), so the AVERAGE speed is 212.4km/hour. It stops at Shinagawa, Shin Yokohama, Nagoya & Kyoto as well, so the maximum is higher.

If you calcualte the leg from Shin Yokohama - Nagoya without a stop, the average speed is 246.7km/hour

As posted in Travel:

December 2010: Extension of the Tohoku Shinkansen to Aomori
On December 4, 2010, the Tohoku Shinkansen will be extended by about 80 kilometers from its current terminus at Hachinohe to Shin-Aomori Station just outside of central Aomori City, reducing travel time between Tokyo by almost an hour to 3 hours and 20 minutes.
Furthermore, new faster train sets will be introduced on the Tohoku Shinkansen from March 2011. Running under the new nickname "Hayabusa", the trains will feature a new "Gran Class" with even more comfortable seats than in the Green Car. From spring 2013, the new train sets are scheduled to increase their top speeds from 300 km/h to 320 km/h, resulting in a further drop in travel times.

by Sandy (guest) rate this post as useful

conventional lines 2010/6/16 10:02
can anyone tell me the maximum speed of normal JR trains

If by normal trains you mean conventional, non-shinkansen lines, then I believe the max operating speed is limited to 130 kph for Limited Express trains.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

max speed of JR trains 2010/6/16 10:14
Nozomi 2 which departs Hakata at 0600 for Tokyo attains an average speed of 272.5kph between Kokura and Hiroshima, with the maximum speed being 300kph.
In the opposite direction
Nozomi 1 which departs Tokyo at 0600 for Hakata attains an average speed between Hiroshima and Kokura of 276.6 kph.
by philip (guest) rate this post as useful

Sandy 2010/6/16 13:06
Well, simply checking on Wikipedia proves that standard trains like the ones running on the Yamanote go 120km/hr.

Had I been asked to research the Shink, as you did, I would have come to the same conclusion as you.

Maybe if the question was a bit more clear I could've avoided unnecessary embarrassment =).
by jmarkley rate this post as useful

reply to this thread