Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

How can I be with my Fiance? 2010/6/16 15:08
Hello, Im in a bit of a bind and Im not sure what to do. I am an American Citizen and I intend to go spend time with my Fiance this summer (AUG.) she is turning 20 this Nov. and she wants me there on her birthday, and she also wants me to be there for her on Adult day in Jan. Also she is planning on moving to America with me in Feb. (she is afraid of moving long distance alone) and we will get married shortly after this.

now my question is, how? If there is anyway would I be able to stay with her for this period of time or how long is the longest period of time possible?

I have been told before to just leave japan about 2 1/2 months into my trip and go to Korea for a week and then Re-enter. Now iv also been tols this can give me un wanted trouble with customs.

I have been told to get a work Visa and get a job, now this is kinda hard for me. I have yet to Graduate college so I heard I can not get a work visa.

I have been told to Get a Cultural Visa, anyone have some more info on this?

I am open to any serious suggestion and any help offered.
Please help me with my dilemma!
I don't want to be away from her again if at all possible!

Thank you!
-J
by Jsj222  

visas 2010/6/16 15:22
If your intention is for her to move to the US with you from February then I'd suggest getting married in Japan as soon as possible. Then immediately apply for a visa for her for the US. It takes anywhere from 3-6 months to be processed this way as opposed to over a year if you get married in the US. This will also take care of your visa issues as you will be eligible for a spouse visa to stay in Japan.

Otherwise you will be able to come to Japan on a tourist visa for 90 days, leave and come back for an additional 90 days without too much trouble. Any more than that though and you will have a tough time getting through immigration. This plan will not help your fiance with US immigration however, so unless she has another means of entering the US long term (student visa maybe) then getting married asap is probably the best method.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

More info? 2010/6/16 15:33
Is it possible to get married before she is 20? (legal adult) in Japan or would we need to do something special?

any other Suggestions?
by Jsj222 rate this post as useful

marriage age 2010/6/16 17:41
You will need to have her parents consent. Other than that the procedure is pretty straight forward. You can find instructions on the US Embassy page here:

http://tokyo.usembassy.gov/e/acs/tacs-7114a.html
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

reply to this thread