Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

J lang school for native speaker? 2010/6/17 00:52
Hopefully someone can answer this question for me. I am a native Japanese speaker who hasn't kept up with my reading and writing (which has stalled at a 3rd grade level). I've spent a good deal of my life in the US and even went to an American university. Now, I'm considering a career as an interpretor/translator and I need to catch up on kanji and tango. Is there a school or program in Tokyo that will be well suited for my unusual needs?
by Lia (guest)  

... 2010/6/17 17:34
My guess is that you'd have to arrange for private lessons with one of the language schools... probably lessons designed for general beginners, intermediate students, etc. would not really meet your needs.
by AK rate this post as useful

kanken? 2010/6/17 18:05
If you're in Japan, you could look into courses designed for prepping for kanji kentei- you'd be studying with actual elementary school kids though! There are also courses designed for returnee kids to get them caught up on reading for Japanese schools- but again, all younger kids, and neither of those options sponser a visa (though I'm assuming your parents are Japanese, you could come here on a Japanese decendent visa?). I second the idea that private lessons might be the way to go, as well as lots of study on your own.
by Kate (guest) rate this post as useful

JLPT1 2010/6/18 03:38
IMO, you should consider yourself an American rather than a native speaker. Just take any classes that will help you get up to speed. I think intermediate Japanese classes would help. Or any class that would help you pass JLPT1. (JLPT1 would be a good credential to have for your resume.)
by Jou (guest) rate this post as useful

. 2010/6/18 04:40
Depends on how everyone defines native. My definition is someone who can speak, read, and write just like anyone one else of that country.

Many language schools in Tokyo have advanced classes for people who have been in Japan or have studied Japanese language before. Just contact any of them, you most likely will take a placement test to determine your actual level and see how it goes. Many of them will gladly do a trial lesson for potential customers.
by ExpressTrain (guest) rate this post as useful

.. 2010/6/18 13:10
if he speaks like a native it would be waste of time to attend a lesson for foreigners. grammar, speaking etc are a big part of lessons and apparently that's not what he needs.
by darine (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread