Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Multiple Reentries on tourist visa 2010/6/17 20:25
Hello everyone.

I was wondering if anyone had some ideas about my case here.

I went to Japan about 1 year and 3 months ago to study Japanese for a year and a half and then later return for my country.

After 1 year I came into some issues with not being able to extend my student visa at the time and decided to go with tourist visa for the last half year.

But as of a month and a half ago I finally realized what I wanted to do with my future, and to do that I figured that going into the university in japan would be the best option, or at least the most favored option of mine.

Getting a visa for the university time if I would be accepted shouldn't be a problem.

The problem is that I need to somehow cover the 6 months in between. Witch I wanted to spend studying japanese here in Japan.

I'm not able to enter on a visa again for that, unless I'd decide to skip 3 months of my stay in Japan. However doing that I'd miss the time of some important tests that I'd need to go to the university.

So my question here is... does anyone have any suggestions of what I should do? I've read of cases where people managed to get back in again on tourist visa, but the same time that's more rare than common I've also heard.

I'm quite in a distress here.
by Gaijin (guest)  

. 2010/6/18 10:44
I got a little loss on what exactly your problem is.

But to answer a few things.

You don't get re-entry on a temporary visitors permit (aka tourist visa), those who leave and return get a brand new one.

Now, it works for some it doesn't work for others, it just depends on how much time you have spent in Japan, you always risk getting denied entry.
by ExpressTrain (guest) rate this post as useful

. 2010/6/18 10:47
If you have spent the last half year as a Temporary Visitor (tourist) then the odds of Immigration allowing you to return so shortly as a Tourist is very low. In the eyes of immigration you can't really be a temporary visitor (tourist) if you are in Japan for over six months.
by ExpressTrain (guest) rate this post as useful

what if 2010/6/18 19:39
Yeah. Seems rather difficult. But what more currious on what the terms they are looking at. I was told that leaving for 3 months for example and then entering again would increase my chances for being able to enter again.

Althou only leaving for say 2 weeks going back to my country. Could that be enough? Having a reason of say traveling around some with yer girlfriend? Eventhough I spend a lot of time already in the country.
by Gaijin (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread