Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Internship for a law graduate 2010/6/17 22:05
Hi all,

I'd be very interested in doing an internship with a law firm in Tokyo (I'm from Europe), but it's been very hard to find something. I know that internships aren't very common in Japan but I've neverthelss heard of many graduates who did internships (mosytly in banks though).
Are there any useful websites or does anyone know any places where I would have a chance of getting an internship?
Thank you in advance!
by Mary (guest)  

..... 2010/6/18 18:31
Finance and law are quite different, I must say.

I don't know how "law schools" in your country are, but in Japan people either graduate from a 4-year university majoring in law, or study on their own/attend a so-called law school after university (for people who have earlier pursued other career but want to change to law), and need to pass the national bar exam in order to start off as trainees in law firms or courts, before they can practice law. What I'm trying to say is that just graduating from law school does not lead straight to jobs here.

Another thing is if you know the Japanese language; if not, then the chances you have will be Japan branch offices of international law firms. You could look up major law firm of your country to see if they have Tokyo offices.
by ..... (guest) rate this post as useful

thanks 2010/6/18 19:06
Thanks for your answer!
Indeed, law jobs seem to be very hard to get. While a lot of my friends managed to find jobs in JP after gradauation (mostly in Economics and Teaching), I really don't seem to be able to find a good solution!
Yes, I speak Japanese (but not perfectly) and as for my studies, I studied law for 5 years, majoring in International Law (IntCommercial Law& Contract Law).
I actually did ask some American and British Law Firms with offices in JP whether they needed an intern and they all told me they only hire Japanese ppl for their Jp offices (I have to say it does make sense, but it's still frustrating :S)
Thanks anyhow for your post and any other opinions/ideas are very much appreciated!
by Mary (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread