Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Monbukagakusho Scholarship 2010/6/20 08:42
Hello,

I want to apply for a master's degree with the Japanese Government (Monbukagakusho) Scholarship and I was wondering if it was possible to work part-time or if it is forbidden.

Thank you
by Max (guest)  

. 2010/6/21 08:20
http://www.atlanta.us.emb-japan.go.jp/MEXTresearch.htm

Monthly stipend is $1500. Why do you want to work? lol

And yes it should be possible. Technically you'll be going on a student visa or something like that. Whatever visa it is, you either can work, or apply for work permission at the immigration office.

Usually there are limitations for the hours you can work if you are studying.
by Reina Jess rate this post as useful

from experience 2010/6/21 11:16
Hi,

I was able to work while receiving the Monbusho Scholarship:
-You need a special work permit (which is inexpensive) which you apply for and receive at an immigration office
- Basically it's a sheet they staple inside your passport that allows you to engage in activity outside original purpose of stay.
- Since you'll be a student, the "activity" would be "part-time" work and contracts you make with employers cannot be 'full-time' agreements
- Getting the permit will allow you to work in restaurant, covenience store, teaching english, translating
- The permit allows up to 15 hours of work per week
- I wasn't aware of a limit on how much one can earn, depends on the job (some translation and teaching jobs pay a lot for very little time worked)
by jmarkley rate this post as useful

reply to this thread