Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

cutoms - monetary gift 2010/6/24 18:51
i'm residing outside japan and would like to send a gift to a japanese resideing in japan, a gift to congratulate him on his new home.

could someone pls tell me if it is ok to give monetary gift? is JPY20,000 enough?

by june (guest)  

Just a thought 2010/6/25 10:54
June,

We are a Japanese family who have purchased housing 3 times in Japan, and I've never heard of anyone sending monetary gifts to congratulate on a person's new home. If you are invited to his new house, you can bring along a special gift. The gift can be anything, but typically things for the house are sent. Something worth 1000 yen to 5000 yen is probably the average. Either way, JPY20,000 worth a gift sounds like a big burden for the receiver. If you aren't invited to the house, a gift may sound like you are requesting to be invited, which might be a bit pushy.
by Uco (guest) rate this post as useful

New home? 2010/6/25 10:59
June,
I'm not Japanese, but I don't think it is a normal custom to send cash when someone moves into a new house. A card would be sufficient, or maybe a small gift that they can use in their new home.
by Dave in Saitama (guest) rate this post as useful

. 2010/6/25 11:13
As mentioned I have never heard of any custom of giving money for someone moving into a new house. Maybe another house warming gift would be more appropriate.

Also as a general rule, in Japan you shouldn't give monetary gifts that are "even" in number. This is why weddings people give 30,000 yen or some other odd number.
by ExpressTrain (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread