Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Marriage and Visa extension 2010/6/25 14:05
I will go to Japan Aug. 9th so I will have to leave by Nov. 9th
my girlfriend wants to wait till she is 20 to get married.
she turns 20 on Nov. 7th. is this grounds to get a visa exstension so that I can stay longer while we get married?
by Jsj222  

90 days 2010/6/25 15:01
It is my understanding that extensions of tourist visas are only given for special circumstances, which may not apply to your situation. Perhaps it'd be better to do a visa run instead. Assuming you're a US citizen, it wouldn't be difficult to leave and come back to receive a new 90 day visa. Also, be aware that the tourist visa is a 90 day visa, not a 3 month visa, and by my count your 90th day will be November 6th (or the 5th if you leave the US on the 9th rather than arrive in Japan on the 9th).
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

hmmm 2010/6/25 15:06
yes I am aware that it is posted at 90 days but looking back at all of my passport stamps from japan they allowed the 3 months not only 90 days.
by Jsj222 rate this post as useful

90 day limit 2010/6/25 15:31
Are you sure about that? It is possible for 90 days to span exactly 3 months depending on when you arrive to Japan. What are the dates for your landing permission?

For the sake of argument lets say that you will be here on Monday, August 8th. It is entirely possible to file your marriage and submit your change of visa status application on that day (assuming you have all the paperwork in order ahead of time). Once your application has been submitted you can stay in Japan until it is processed. Be aware though that it will look extremely fishy to immigration to be married the day before you would have to leave so keep in mind that your application may be in for a rigorous screening.

Visa run 2010/6/25 15:39
I see, so where would be the cheapest place to go to do a visa run? from Osaka.
and how long should i be gone?

visa run 2010/6/25 15:46
Korea is a popular choice. There's also Saipan and Guam. If price is a concern then look for last minute deals on the travel sites. You can often get supercheap packages for just a few ten thousand yen. Also there is no minimum on how long you have to be gone. Why not make it a 20th bday trip with your girlfriend?

Also, keep in mind that I'm not positive that you can't simply request a visa extension, so you may want to check with your local immigration office when you get to Japan.

thank you! 2010/6/25 15:49
Thank you! il have my girlfriend check with the Local immagration office today.
il try to find out some more info.

thanks for all your help.

reply to this thread