Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

High School year abroad 2010/6/29 00:44
I'm planning on applying to an exchange program that accepts people from all levels of Japanese language including those who haven't spoken before.

I'm just starting to learn Japanese in my 10th year and I'm not sure if it'll be enough to survive over there.

I'll be staying with a host family, all classes except for Japanese(Which is a daily double block class at the level of the student) will be taught in English.

Should I attempt to apply? Although they allow people without any experience would it be alright if I started learning abroad first?
by Rain (guest)  

take the chance! 2010/6/29 11:56
dude, if your parents are cool with it, go for it!
I waited until uni to go and wish I had taken the chance back in HS.

Being in Japan while learning the language is the only way to really get better. Plus you'll meet tons of cool people and open your mind, so even if Japan isn't where you see yourself in the future, you'll be able to interact with global people which will help later on.
by jmarkley rate this post as useful

Not a problem at all 2010/6/30 23:13
I went to Japan as a high school exchange student with no previous studies in Japanese and had no problems. I did learn hiragana and katakana on my own before going tho (which turned out to be VERY helpful).

The whole idea of High School exchange is to get to know new cultures and languages and not to stick to the ones you are already familiar with. Of course it is good to know some of the language before going so you can communicate with your host family and class mates better from the beginning, but it is by no means necessary to be fluent right from the start.
If you have already studied Japanese for 9 years I'm sure you will have no problems and will improve your Japanese VERY quickly, considering I went from unable to conversational in just about 6 months.

High School exchange is a once in a lifetime opportunity and if you only have a chance I see no reason to hesitate!

I wish you a great exchange!
by Mikko (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread