Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

How to answer a Japanese job classified? 2010/6/30 13:04
Hey, I'm wondering if anyone knows the Japanese process for answering a job ad in magazines like TownWork. The ads suggest to call the number and mention that you saw and are answering the ad, but I'm a bit clueless as to where the conversation should go from there. I know how one would answer an ad in America, but I'd like to know what to expect in Japan.

Are there some canned formal phrases that are used in this situation? Do I specifically ask for an interview, or do I suggest that I'm interested in the job and wait for them to suggest an interview? Do I talk about my qualifications on the phone right away, or would it wait for a face-to-face interview? Do I ask about bringing my rirekisho over, or wait for them to suggest that? What sort of Japanese do I use--casual, formal, super-formal? I mostly need to know the etiquette for applying by phone.

As it stands now, my spiel would probably go something like "Hello, my name is X, and I'm interested in the Y job that your company posted in the ## issue of Job Magazine Z. I'm available on [days]. Is it all right if I bring my rirekisho to your branch in person and speak about the job in person?"
But then again, I don't know whether that would be considered rude here or not.

Thanks in advance for the help!

(Please no "Why don't you just teach English?" or "The job economy is rough!" replies. I'm aware of my own situation.)
by Ingrid (guest)  

assuming the employer speaks english 2010/6/30 17:03
It could be just as simple as you have scripted in your question and you can carry yourself naturally as you would when answering a US classified. But there isn't an exact script unless its in Japanese, in which case, I should be able to help in that dept. Where to go after your formal intro and reason for calling, I assume the employer should be able to wrap up - interview dates/times, etc.

They'll probably want you to send your resume/cv by email before hand and many companies ask you to bring a printed copy of it along with you to the intrvw.

Ask them what they need.
by jmarkley rate this post as useful

Japanese 2010/6/30 21:35
Oh, I should have mentioned that. Of course, the whole thing will be in Japanese. The chances of an employer -- or anyone picking up the phone at these places -- having the English to deal with me is slim. Plus, I want to get away from the whole stereotype that I can't speak Japanese because I'm foreign.

So if you know how this would work in Japanese, please let me know!
by Ingrid (guest) rate this post as useful

. 2010/7/1 01:02
Ingrid,

Typically, you start by saying "Hello, my name is X, and I'm interested in the Y job that your company posted in the ## issue of Job Magazine Z." If names of the people in charge are printed in the magazine, ask for them.

Then they do the talking. You just answer them. But I have to say that my non-Japanese friends always made it clear that they are not Japanese. I suppose they didn't want to be turned down _after_ they'd written all their resumes, got dressed up and rode the train to the interview just to hear the word, "We don't take non-Japanese people." But it is important to tell them you have a proper working visa and that you are willing to improve your Japanese skills.

Usually, they make you come over for an interview, and sometimes you're hired at the spot, sometimes they phone you later.

I don't think it's rude to say anything to show how enthusiastic you are, but everyone wants to make it simple. If they finish asking all their questions and you feel that they are trying to let you down, then you can try saying, "But I can do this and that. Let me come over for an interview."

Good luck and don't forget to use keigo!
by Uco (guest) rate this post as useful

. 2010/7/1 03:22
Generally that's fine, as alluded by another poster, if your Japanese isn't great, but you should make note that you are not Japanese, the next question would be in the lines of "how good is your Japanese" and assuming you are speaking on the phone, answer truthfully.

by ExpressTrain (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread