Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Registering a car between prefectures? 2010/7/2 08:50
OK, so, I found my car that I want to be rolling around in Japan for the next few years. Thing is, its an auction car. This is cool since it gets the price down allot BUT the guy at the auction house says that he will have to register the car in his name, drive it to my prefecture (fukui) from Tokyo, change names to mine, change plates and charge me 170 000 yen for all this!
My friend bought a bike from a dealer in Kyushu a few months back and he got Fukui plates and registration in his name all done from Kyushu without actually ever having been there. His japanese is really bad and his japanese girlfriend is now an ex so I cant ask her how they did it.

SO, how can I get my car registered in my name for Fukui prefecture, from Tokyo? Remember, this is not a dealer but rather some auction house so I need to know when theyre tallking trash about not being able to do what I ask.

Thankx!!
by Alwyn (guest)  

... 2010/7/2 16:40
Anything in the fine print of that particular auction house?

I just ran a search on car auctions (in general), and there seem to be a lot of expenses and cost involved, such as changing titles, transporting, etc., so that one auction site that claimed to be the "most reasonable" would have charged you at least 100,000 yen or so for the procedure. Maybe their system is that the seller has to sell it once to the auction house, then onto you. Probably if you asked if you could directly change titles (from the current owner) they might arrange for the paper work (probably they will ask you if you can fill out forms in Japanese, though) but then they will ask you to transport it yourself.
by ... (guest) rate this post as useful

nothing 2010/7/2 18:45
No, nothing in the fine print. The cost of processing is 95 000 and with transport and name change they charge 170 000.

They say that they have to register the car in their name after the auction and then drive it down to my pref. Here we will then change the names again into mine.
I just think its such a waste of time and money to pay for this guys time when I can just get the car registered in my name one-time after the auction. They say they cant do it but I think theyre lying. Thats why I asked this question in the first place so I can suggest an alternative to their "solution"
by Alwyn (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread