Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

How can I study in Japan? 2010/7/3 11:15
yeas so How can I study in japan? I know this is kinda wierd questin, but when I ask 'ho2' I mean like:
- How do I find a place I can study? ( u know any sites or anything?)
- How do I find a place to live while Im there to study? (any site?)

etc..

And Im not quite sure what to study yet, but Im very interested to lear Japanese. All I can is some greetings and stuff. I can read a lil hiragana aswell. But I want to learn more. More about the Culture, History, Language, everything...

Ive been facinated and interesten in Japan ever since I was 8 years old..
And Ive liked to learn new languages even since I was 6. (Im norwegian and I could speak almost fluten english when I was 6)

Right now Im 15, (I have b-day 30. september so I'll be 16 soon)

So....any ideas to help me? any sites or info??

Tetsudatte kudasai !

- Jess
by Jessica Anna Laukvik (guest)  

... 2010/7/4 13:28
If your parents can support you with the tuition and living expenses, you could consider studying the Japanese language at a specialized Japanese language school in Japan. There are short-term courses (like summer intensive course), and more longer ones that run 1.5 year or 2 years. I believe that you need to be at least 18 to enroll, though.

OR, you can ask your school to see if they have any short-term student exchange program with any school in Japan (maybe for a summer, etc.).

So in the meantime, you can look for a school through resources such as:
http://www.nisshinkyo.org/
Click "ENGLISH" at the upper left corner, then click "Information about Japanese Language schools - Finding with Zone/Local Area" if you want to look at different schools in different areas of Japan.

...and also there are other threads on the same topic on this forum as well :)

As for a place to live, some schools have student housing, others refer you to apartment agency to help you find an apartment.

Enjoy your research for now!
by AK rate this post as useful

So easy!!! 2010/7/4 21:23
smart.fm to start now
by Bruno38 (guest) rate this post as useful

Bunch of Options... 2010/7/4 21:39
Random: You're a day older than I am. :P

ANYWAYS..
There are some study abroad programs for High Schoolers such as LanguBridge and Intrax. Their programs range from a couple of weeks to almost 2 months (for the summer programs). Temple University in Japan offers 2 one week programs, one for language and one for culture.

You can also search for language schools. There are a TON of different language schools, it should be really easy looking them up. I'm not sure how many of them are available to teens our age, but you can give it a shot.

You can self teach yourself Japanese, as I am doing. If you are really interested in learning Japanese as soon as possible (with no short cuts), I suggest going to AJATT.com.

There may be some universities in your country (or America) that offer Japanese as a major. I've been doing a lot of research of different ones in the US, and I found several colleges/universities that have exceptional Japanese programs (Middlebury, Cornell, etc).

You can see if you can go to college in Japan.
There are several colleges with English curriculum that teach Japanese. Some off the top of my head include Temple University in Japan, Meiji University, Waseda University, International Christian University, and Ritsumeikan Asia Pacific University.
I saw the catalog for some of these colleges, and I really like Meiji and Waseda. They're super competitive (or so I've read).

Sorry for the long reply! :)
by Kira (guest) rate this post as useful

hey 2010/7/11 22:40
hey kira, just wondering, what other US colleges did you find that are good for Japanese?
by Kou7793 rate this post as useful

well... 2010/7/13 10:36
I've read that Cornell, Dartmouth, Middlebury, and Yale have very good Japanese programs.

Also Stanford, UCLA, Columbia, UC-Berkley, Emory, and Georgetown.

Cornell has this FALCON program where you can study Japanese intensively for a year. Middlebury has a pretty well known program. A (Japanese) parent said that Yale's program is pretty strong.
by Kira (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread