Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Is it ok to wear a Bikini in Japan? 2010/7/5 02:32
I've never been, but I'll be going to Japan in a few weeks and I'll be staying with my penpal and her family. I'm a teenager in my late teens and I wanted to know if bikinis are acceptable in Japan. I heard they dress more modest then in the states, so I was concerned about the fact that most of my bathing suits are bikinis, and if it would be ok to wear them. Do most women in Japan wear them? If not most, do ANY? I also wanted to know if it's alright to wear shorts in Japan. I don't mean booty shorts, but I don't mean Bermuda shorts either. Most of mine are mid to high thigh shorts and are very appropriate in my opinion. But I heard people only wear knee-length shorts there, and sometimes even wear leggings underneath!

I am concerned because I can't really afford to buy a new wardrobe for this trip, so I'm hopeing that shorts and bikinis are ok for Japanese attire. Please share and let me know if this is the case. Thanks so much for any input!
by KayJayBee  

Bikinis 2010/7/5 10:48
KayJayBee,

I wanted to know if bikinis are acceptable in Japan. I heard they dress more modest then in the states, so I was concerned about the fact that most of my bathing suits are bikinis, and if it would be ok to wear them. Do most women in Japan wear them? If not most, do ANY?

No problem at all, but note that bikinis and swimsuits are generally only worn at the beach and swimming pools in Japan.

I also wanted to know if it's alright to wear shorts in Japan. I don't mean booty shorts, but I don't mean Bermuda shorts either. Most of mine are mid to high thigh shorts and are very appropriate in my opinion. But I heard people only wear knee-length shorts there, and sometimes even wear leggings underneath!

Again, no problem at all. Leggings do seem to be quite popular at the moment, but there is no rule that you have to wear them, and you will see girls wearing shorts of all imaginable lengths. No need to worry at all!
by Dave in Saitama (guest) rate this post as useful

LOL 2010/7/5 11:20
LOL

The shorts and miniskirts that Japanese girls wear are probably shorter than where you live!!!!

And some girls wear them in winter as well!!!!

by Sandy (guest) rate this post as useful

teen exposure 2010/7/5 15:48
KayJayBee,

Your parents' generation tend to be a bit more modest, but teens in Japan wear almost anything! Click the pages of what I got by a Google image search of "teen short pants" in Japanese.
http://www.google.co.jp/images?q=%E3%83%86%E3%82%A3%E3%83%BC%E3%83%B3%...
by Uco (guest) rate this post as useful

Relieved 2010/7/6 05:37
Thank you all for your reassurance! I was relieved to read your answers. From what you have told me, it seems the teenagers there are pretty much like teenagers anywhere. At least fashion-wise.

The link was especially helpful as an example. If anyone has a link like that with examples of bikini/swimwear, please feel free to share!
by KayJayBee rate this post as useful

LOL 2010/7/6 05:40
I could understand if you were going to a muslim country... but Japan has, as someone else pointed out, probably more shorter, sexier clothes than the rest of the world... they have so many styles its almost crazy how diverse you can look in japan... but yeah, wear anything you want as long as you feel it is appropriate, like a bikini in a mall is obviously not right...
by Ricarudo rate this post as useful

. 2010/7/6 10:35
Hi again.

KayJayBee wrote;
If anyone has a link like that with examples of bikini/swimwear, please feel free to share!

Here is a Google image link on "bikini" in Japanese.
http://www.google.co.jp/images?q=%E3%83%93%E3%82%AD%E3%83%8B&rls=com.m...

...and "swimming beach" in Japanese. Note that there is one photo of an extremely crowded beach, but that's in China.
http://www.google.co.jp/images?um=1&hl=ja&rls=com.microsoft%3A*%3AIE-S...

Hope you have fun!

unconservative swimwear 2010/7/6 11:48
I don't think there is anything to worry about your summer/swim wear choices.

One time, I saw a swimsuit worn by a Japanese girl that was basically no thicker than a pair of suspenders that were only held onto the front by shear nylon tension! Gratuitous to say the least, but to me, that automatically qualifies anything beneath that to be A-OK for beach wear in Japan. No policeman should stop you or ask you to cover up.

As for summer shorts/skirts, Japan is just as modern as the states and yes as mentioned above, many girls wear shorts/skirts in winter time since the sun's not out much and they wont get that embarrassing tan line on their thighs. Maybe I'm too observant...
by jmarkley rate this post as useful

for examples of bikini/swimwear 2010/7/7 20:00
by noriyasu rate this post as useful

Very helpful 2010/7/8 01:08
All the video and google examples were extremely helpful! It is obvious that I had been misinformed before I had posted this thread. Thank you so much for clearing up this issue for me. I now feel much more confident about my trip to Japan! Arigatou gozaimasu!!

yes, but 2010/7/8 03:35
Unless I missed it somewhere, I didn't catch where in Japan you were going. Bear in mind that being along the shore or in a large city is one thing, but if your penpal lives in a small town or in a rural area dress expectations may be different. This isn't much different than if you were visiting an urban vs rural area anywhere. Why not communicate with her (I assume it's a her) to clarify? And obviously garb in temples is expected to be modest and should be if for being respectful if nothing else. Would it break you to buy a couple of more conservative shorts and swimsuits just in case?
by koniero rate this post as useful

Bring something portable to cover up 2010/7/8 09:06
Koniero is right. Asking your penpal is best. But actually, I travel around and temples aren't much of a problem unless you participate in special prayers.

Yet, needless to say, you will need to bring along conservative clothing for the various occasions you might encounter, and you also need to keep in mind about insect bites, harsh air-conditioning and the low temperature in the evenings of resort/remote areas. A flexible pair of modest pants and thin jacket or cardigan might come in handy. Here are examples on cardigans for teens.
http://www.google.co.jp/images?um=1&hl=ja&rls=com.microsoft%3A*%3AIE-S...

Nagoya 2010/7/9 11:48
I will be going to Nagoya. That is where my penpal lives. I was under the impression that Nagoya is a large city, is this right? It wouldn't be to rural there for shorts and such, would it? I plan to bring more than just shorts and bikinis to wear for my trip, make no mistake. I was just referring to the kind of casual wear that would be good for sight seeing or just everyday clothes. I have been warned before about the strong air conditioning, I will make sure to prepare for it.

No problem 2010/7/9 21:20
I went to high school in Nagoya and I now have a 19 year old (Japanese) niece living there. Girl, you should see what she wears all the time as well as the colors of her hair! No problem wearing bikinis and shorts!

lol 2010/7/10 03:13
Haha, thanks for the tips. To Uco (guest), that is funny! It's a relief to hear that, thank you!

reply to this thread