Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Feeling lonely and lost 2010/7/5 23:13
I'm feeling lonely in Japan. Like, really lonely. I know I've only been here for a week, but I'm really afraid it might continue on. I would love to go to Tokyo in my spare time, but currently I've no inkling on how to travel the railways from Shin-Matsudo, and my inability to get out of the town is adding to my foreboding loneliness. As someone not yet in their twenties, it's even worse as it seems everyone around me is older. Chatting to my friends through the internet just isn't the same as talking to a real, breathing person.

As I've moved around a lot I'm no stranger to loneliness, but this is the first time I'm in a country where my knowledge of the language is subpar at best. I'm really lost at how to make friends/get rid of the loneliness/figure out the railway. Any advice from those experienced?
by Cynds  

It gets better 2010/7/6 10:09
I moved to Japan at 21, straight out of university to a city where I knew no-one. I went through the same thing. It was very tough for the first 6 months or so, but I slowly got used to spending time on my own and persuing hobbies which I had never tried before.
One thing is to not let the language or "foreign-ness" intimidate you. just get out there and take a look around. There is so much to see and do, whether on your own or not. It took me months and months to actually make some friends. But, although lonely at times, I made the most of being on my own. It was so good not having to worry about anyone except for myself. I was free to do whatever I wanted.
Read a guide book to find places of interest, persue some hobbies, join a club (language, etc.), join a gym, etc. Just use your imagination and I am sure you will start to enjoy it a bit more.
Japan can be a little daunting at first, but don't be shy, get out there and experience it. Don't worry about getting lost, because that is part of the fun and experience.

Good luck.
by Smoke (guest) rate this post as useful

Shin-Matsudo 2010/7/6 10:18
Cynds,

If you haven't already figured it out, Shin-Matsudo Station is served by two JR Lines: the Joban Line (green) from Tokyo, and the Musashino Line (orange) which is a large loop around the greater Tokyo area. If you want to travel into Tokyo by train from Shin-Matsudo, you should hop on a Joban Line train. The Joban Line is slightly confusing, as the trains don't actually terminate anywhere in Tokyo but continue onward through the Chiyoda Subway Line from Kita-Senju taking you to destinations in central Tokyo and beyond. Depending on where exactly in Tokyo you wish to go, you may find it easier to change to a Joban Line "Rapid" service at Matsudo or Kita-Senju stations, which go to Nippori and Ueno stations in central Tokyo.

As for loneliness, that is often an issue in the early days, and while it is easy to say "just go out and meet people", I would really recommend taking the time to study the language so that you can communicate with Japanese people rather than just being stuck with fellow English speakers who mostly just want to grumble about life in Japan.
Apart from the obvious options of clubbing in Tokyo (maybe not easy if you are under 20), why not visit your local city office to see if they have any "kokusai koryu" (international) activities or events in which you can get involved and meet people.

http://www.miea.or.jp/matsudo_e/index.htm
by Dave in Saitama (guest) rate this post as useful

. 2010/7/6 11:56
Find an International club. They have great activities and really nice people who love foreigners. I joined one and it made my living there great!
by . (guest) rate this post as useful

, 2010/7/6 16:22
Maybe it is impolite, but did you have a special reason to go to japan?

maybe taking some japanese lessons could help you, first you would meet some classmates, and even though they would also be foreigners, it can give you a starting point for making contacts.
Plus, as you'd learn japanese, you will be able to communicate with more people, and making friends will be easier ^^

I was in a similar situation, not knowing anyone, and as i am a very shy person it wasn't easy to approach people, but classmates at language schools were a good start...

Otherwise, you could also try to find some language/cultural exchange partners through the ''ads'' section of this site but... yeah that is maybe not a very sure way...
by Tatum rate this post as useful

.... 2010/7/8 06:11
I suggest going on websites like MIXI or Facebook especially mixi though you can find heaps of people (Japanese or foreign) around your age that would be happy to make friends with you.Dont worry so much if you put a little effort in things will work out as the saying goes "you only get what you put in".
As for the railway thingy its much easier than you think in fact in a couple of weeks you will be thinking "why the hell did i make a big deal of this".

HAVE FUN!
by LB (guest) rate this post as useful

Metro 2010/7/9 20:36
I have been in Japan for three months now. Two things that have been a life saver for me are my Iphone and this website http://www.jorudan.co.jp/english/
I'm not sure if you'll be able to get an Iphone(or cell phone with internet capability), but since obviously you have access to the internet, this website well help you get around.
Cheers!
I'm sure you'll find your way around :)
by amosfamous rate this post as useful

mm 2010/7/10 01:40
Just find out where all the international schools are... like language schools for example, i was 20 years old when i started, knew nobody, didnt know a single bit of the japanese language... 6 months later, more than 30 friends, both japanese and non-japanese, had a chinese gf(we would only communicate in jap), had part-time job, and my japanese wasnt fluent, but i could communicate with everyone i met, and i also acquired a small bike... also students are lost all the time, trying to find someone to have fun with... just throw yourself into the playground and play... =p
by Ricarudo rate this post as useful

Do what I did 2010/7/10 06:22
When i went to japan, i was 20 and i knew absolutely no one. I didnt know japanese and I was scared. I was working at a Web Design Company but all the employees were way older than me, so I didnt feel comfortable around them.

I then decided that I needed to go out more and just walk. So I left my apartment, winked at my cute neighbor and decided to find people my age or maybe just a bit younger. So i went to two places for 2 weeks straight, the local Arcade (which surprisingly has people 20+ in it) and Tokyo U. After walking around a bit, and randomly asking people that seemed nice directions, they started talking to me and showing me around. Next thing I know I have a bunch of friends.

You just gotta get out there. Everyone has to make new friends in a new place. Good luck my friend!
by skywolf (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread