Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

is 59 too old to teach english? 2010/7/7 05:09
i am 59 and taught english in ashiya,hyogo-ken from 1989 to 1994,atty english conversation school,i had many doctors,businessmen/women,chefs,pilots,flight crews,engineers etc as students,all students were adults and lessons were one to one or one to two....i loved it moved on and taught for 4 years in germany, 2 years in italy and 7 months in finland. i would like to return to japan for a few years to teach adults,one to one or small groups.i would need sponsorship,looking for a full time position.kobe,osaka,tokyo,yokohama,nagoya any large town/city........any advice , a september/october start would be good.or later.i am in very good health and eager to spend a few more years in japan.i have returned to japan many times since working there.is 59 too old ??
by stephen pepper (guest)  

no but 2010/7/7 14:50
no, but none of the major eikaiwa will touch you. you are too old for the big eikaiwa, they won't admit it but they just won't hire anyone who looks over 50-55 or so. also all of the big english schools are downsizing now with the big man to man english school (guess which one) looking like it's possibly going to go bankrupt sometime in the next few months.

that being said, smaller schools will hire you without any issue, but the market is pretty tough right now so you will have to look around.

the situation is completely COMPLETELY different to what it was when you were working here last time. expect your pay to be much lower, your job/bosses much less satisfying and perks much more stingy. teaching can still be quite fun though if you have nice students.
by winterwolf rate this post as useful

reply to this thread