Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Zeni / O-kane 2010/7/11 02:23
Recently I've been watching j-dorama again. I watched Zeni Geba (quite a dark on so far). The title gets translated to Money Crazy.
Zeni = money

So far I just knew O-kane as money. What is the diffrence to Zeni there. Is it more old-style, or is there a spezific meaning behind it?

best regards,
nihongo-beginner
by nihongo-beginner (guest)  

... 2010/7/11 19:31
"zeni" is an old-fashioned way to refer to money. But there are longer words like "kozeni" (small change/coins) or "abuku zeni" (quick money that you might lose quickly too) that have the word "zeni" in it, and are currently used as well.

Otherwise, people might use the word "zeni" for a bit of a humorous effect.
by AK rate this post as useful

heki / genki 2010/7/11 20:45
thanks AK.

can you help me out one more time? in another drama, I heard 'heki' which was translated to I'm fine/ don't worry. so far I just knew genki or daijoubu. can you tell me more about the use of heki (maybe it's spelled/pronounced diffrent).

thanks again
by nihongo-beginner (guest) rate this post as useful

... 2010/7/11 21:22
That must have been "heiki," it might sound like he-e-ki as well. It is similar to "daijoubu," like "I'm cool" "I'm fine with that."
by AK rate this post as useful

vulgar term 2010/7/11 21:30
Nihongo-beginner,

In modern Japan, "zeni" is also a vulgar way of saying "money." "Kane" is also a rough way of saying "money" as opposed to "o-kane." So in the order of politeness, it's sort of like o-kane, kane, zeni. By the way, Zeni-Geba doesn't really get any brighter.
by Uco (guest) rate this post as useful

use of -yo 2010/7/11 21:48
Thanks again AK. Can you tell me more about the use of heiki? I've been watching quite a few dorama lately and I just hear it in a single one.
Is there anything special about it to know? Daijoubu seems way more popular to use? Is it more women-language or anything a like?

Thanks as well Uco. I thought there must be something very special about it, because I never heard it before (but of course I'm only beginner concerning Japanese).
Are there other (slang) words for money, that I might come across while learning japanese?

Hmmm one more question, if you don't mind.
I like watching all kind of dorama, and -yo seems to get used way more oft in doramas aiming at 14-17 year old viewer then anyother age groupe. Is this correct that -yo is more teenager-language, or is this a wrong conclusion on my side?

Thanks again to both of you AK and Uco, you are really helpfull!

best regards

by nihongo-beginner (guest) rate this post as useful

heiki, daijyobu, genki 2010/7/12 03:14
Heiki=平気=usual or normal ki(chi in Chinese).
You get up after falling down & say "heiki" which is I am ok emotionally with a little embarrassment & a grin that you are not disturbed at all.
If you say "daijyobu", it is more referring to physically ok.
In contrast, genki=元気=original ki=back to original energy. "genki ni natta" or "genki ga modotta"= fell down & scraped a knee & a little tearful w/ pain or depressed but now forgot all about it and cheerful.
by ay (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread