Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Gaijin card on tourist visa 2010/7/14 19:13
One of the webpages on ministry of justice states that those who enter Japan on tourist visa, including the usual landing permit for visa-exempt nationals, are DEFERRED from getting a gaijin card for 90 days rather than actually denied one. This was contrary to most of the stuff on internet forum that I found; which said that those on tourist visa CANNOT get a gaijin card.

As I am in Japan for almost the full 90 days on an university exchange program, I figured that an ID card produced by the Japanese government would come in handy. I went into the Shinjuku kuyakusho yesterday, and have successfully lodged the application. Now I have the proof of registration (kiroku shoumeisho) with the governmental seal which acts as an ID; I have used it to get my hands on a prepaid keitai and the friggin taspo card (from their office near Shinjuku stn minamiguchi).

So in a nutshell, contrary to much of the opinions on the internet which says that gaijin card is out of question if you are in on a tourist visa, NO THAT IS NOT TRUE. At least in Shinjuku kuyakusho they are welcomed. Although I have not received my actual alien certificate, as the shoumeisho acts as an almost a de-facto ID I do not see there will be much trouble.
by Reg.alien (guest)  

... 2010/7/15 10:11
This was contrary to most of the stuff on internet forum that I found; which said that those on tourist visa CANNOT get a gaijin card.

Must be a misunderstanding. I have almost never heard or read something like that.

All foreigners - tourists or residents - need to get a gaijin card by the time they stay in Japan for more than 90 days. They can apply for one on their first day in Japan. Tourists from certain countries (e.g. Belgians), for example, need to do so in order to be able to drive in Japan.
by Uji rate this post as useful

. 2010/7/15 11:02
I've never heard anything like it, but one can certainly apply for a ARC under any status including temporary visitor.

However the things they can do with the ARC is still restricted depending on your visa status.

For example, someone with a ARC under the status of TEMPORARY VISITOR cannot open a bank account, nor it might not be possible to set up a telephone contract.

by ExpressTrain (guest) rate this post as useful

... 2010/7/16 01:54
Yup, it's never been prohibited that Temp visitors couldn't get one.

But as E.T. said, depending on the status, it limits what you can do.

But it's good to have one, if you don't want to carry around the passport all the time. They card is smaller, and you don't have to worry about losing a document as important as a passport.

They say you're supposed to turn them in before you depart Japan, but probably I would keep it as a souvenir. I haven't heard any reprecussions about keeping it...
I think that would depend on the status...
by Reina Jess (guest) rate this post as useful

researched.. 2010/7/16 02:03
yup, basically if you have a status of residence longer than 90 days like student, etc. and you dont have a re-entry permit, they will demand it.

But since you're temp visitor, the airport people wont even know that you registered for it really, so technically you could keep it.
by Reina Jess (guest) rate this post as useful

Hmm... 2010/7/16 04:00
I wouldn't attempt to keep the card when you leave. They are all supposed to be returned upon leaving Japan, so that's what you need to do.

If you did get away with keeping the card and tried to enter Japan again later, they would also still know that you were issued one. I don't know if that would cause problems or not, but I don't think it's worth the risk just for a plastic card.
by Rabbityama rate this post as useful

reply to this thread