Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

University and afterwards 2010/7/15 05:44
Hi everyone,
I'm planning to move to Japan for university (still choosing which one, any suggestions?) and I'm going to be a senior in high school. I want to move there because of the safety, food and training for kendo and aikido. However, I also would like to know if I do stay in Japan afterwards indefinitely, can I get a decent paying job there? Thanks!
by sdv (guest)  

... 2010/7/15 16:27
To be accepted by a university in Japan, you need to have a good command of the language, first of all, unless you plan to enrol in an American or other college in Japan but taught in English.

You cannot simply move to Japan and stay indefinitely. You will have to find yourself a sponsor, that is, an employer who is interested in your skills and willing to sponsor you for a working visa, for one year, three years, etc. Permanent Resident status comes after 10 years of employer-sponsored visa(s).

I don't know what you plan to major in, so I can't even begin to guess what the chances are for you finding a good job :)
by AK rate this post as useful

English curriculums... 2010/7/16 06:53
Hola~

So. Waseda SILS is in English, same with Meiji University "Cool Japan" (but it begins in Spring 2011). Temple University has a campus in Japan. ICU and Sophia U seem to be pretty popular for international students.

There's a "30 Global Japan" program sponsored by the Japanese government to have a program in English. You can look it up on the web (very easy) and they have lots of colleges with English curriculums.

Good luck!
and if you have any other questions, ask! :D
by Kira (guest) rate this post as useful

Thanks! 2010/7/17 06:10
Thanks for the response AK and Kira.
I'd like to think I can speak Japanese well (I grew up with a Japanese friend and he taught me Japanese since I was little so we speak with each other in Japanese whenever) but I can't read kanji like a real Japanese can (I'd say I'm in intermediate level). I understand that this hurts my chances in certain jobs.
Thanks for the information! Its really helped and I plan on looking at Waseda SILS and the 30 Global Japan because of my inability to read kanji perfectly.
by sdv (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread