Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Visual/performing art degree in English? 2010/7/16 00:45
I am in Japan right now on a visitor's visa and am really liking Japan to the point where I can't seem to think of anywhere else I really want to be right now or in the near future, other than Japan. However, time is ever ticking away and I don't want to come out of this period of my life without some accomplishments. I am 24, and I still want to get my degree, but the tricky thing is I don't quite know my specialization yet. I know if I can just try out some of my interests, the answer will reveal itself to me eventually. Ideally I'd like to be able to do it in a North American university setting where I can dabble in a variety of unrelated courses/subjects at a university level. I should mention most of the things I want to do have to do with the arts - acting, illustration, dance and music.

I've looked through the programs and courses offered by English-speaking, American universities in Japan and none of them seem to offer visual/performing arts courses, much less entire degree programs.

I could always take art and music lessons on the side and one thing at a proper university, too, but I have yet to find an arts-centric college/university in Japan that's also taught in English. Do they exist? What do you suggest I do? Will I have to leave Japan and go elsewhere in order to find what I need?

Thanks in advance!
by soaringshrimp  

Waseda SILS 2010/7/23 08:13
The Waseda SILS program is in English.

Although it is a "Liberal Studies" program, you can specialize in "Expressions" which includes art, theater, performing art, film, music, literature, media studies and architecture.

I can't find that much description on those courses, but it has to do something with Performing arts and English :)

Good luck!
by Kira (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread