Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

How to say Amanda Marie in Katakana 2010/7/16 06:29
I want to make it a tattoo, because I think katakana looks better in my name then kanji or hiragana. I looked it up on translation sites, but i want to make 100% sure its right, because it will be there forever. thank you for your help!
by AmandaPandamonium6  

katakana 2010/7/16 12:38
Amanda Marie in katakana would usually be アマンダ・マリー

The dot ・ in between Amanda and Marie is there so that people not familiar with the name know where the first name ends and the second one begins, but you could leave it out if you wanted.

In Japan katakana is not considered to be a "pretty" set of characters, so you will never find a Japanese person with a katakana tattoo. It's up to you what you put on your own body of course.
by Sira (guest) rate this post as useful

thats what i found online too, thank you 2010/7/16 22:46
oh, really? hmm. i want to go to japan atleast a few times in my life, i dont want the japanese people to think im an idiot. i will have to rethink this now, thank you for your help!
by AmandaPandamonium6 rate this post as useful

Tattoo 2010/7/16 23:10
Amanda,

I don't know about "idiot", but I think most Japanese people would find a non-Japanese person with a Japanese tattoo, shall we say, mildly amusing. Moreso if it's done in glorious MS Mincho font and with a few arbitrarily mangled or inverted characters to boot, as is invariably the case. And if you have your name tattooed in katakana, it's almost like something out of a prisoner-of-war camp.
Then don't forget that having a tattoo means you will find it very difficult to visit onsens, swimming pool complexes, and sports gyms in Japan.
Yep, I would definitely rethink it if you plan to spend time in Japan.
by Dave in Saitama (guest) rate this post as useful

oh no! 2010/7/16 23:37
so having your name tattooed on you in japan, would be like being humiliated in a prisoner war camp? i dont want that! so, then i should just stick with kanji words that everyone in america has? lol its so common around here, i dont want to be just another girl with kanji on her.

do you have any suggestions for what i can do? i really want some sort of japanese tatttoo, because i love japaense culture, arcitecture, language, wildlife, people, EVERYTHING about japan. haha
by AmandaPandamonium6 rate this post as useful

dangers of kanji tattoos 2010/7/17 09:55
It's more the katakana that would make you look like a POW. If you really want a tattoo representing Japan, look for an actual Japanese tattooist, or possibly someone who has trained in Japan. That is the only way you can be fairly sure that a kanji tattoo is not going to make people laugh when you get to Japan.

Have a look at this website:
http://hanzismatter.blogspot.com/

for some ideas of just how wrong kanji (hanzi) tattoos can go when done by someone who doesn't know the language.
by Sira (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread