Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Gifts from Scotland 2010/7/16 22:45
I am going to Japan in October/November, and a very kind Japanese lady has been helping me organise some aspects of my trip. I would like to get her a gift to thank her, but I'm not sure what would be suitable as she is slightly above middle-aged, and I don't want to be considered rude because of my choice of gift.

I have considered some traditional Scottish jewellery, since we have lots of traditional styles of brooches and necklaces, but I'm not sure if this is appropriate.

Any advice would be great :)
by Celi (guest)  

. 2010/7/17 15:11
Sounds like a nice gift to me.
by . (guest) rate this post as useful

... 2010/7/21 22:32
Jewellery would I'm sure be appreciated, but I would also take nice tea bags (e.g. from Whitterd) and sweets not very common in Japan like shortbread which she can share with her family and friends.
by SilkPlumBlossom rate this post as useful

Depends... 2010/7/22 08:45
Just remember that overly expensives gifts although accepted and appreciated, may make the person feel a little responsible to respond in kind.

That in mind anything truly Scottish would be nice. My scottish mate brought a nice woven scarf for one of our associates and she wore it almost all winter.

Don't forget shortbread and fudge...
by tenshinyc rate this post as useful

Food 2010/7/26 19:14
Food is always a safe choice. Make sure to box/wrap it nicely. The presentation counts just as much as the content, if not more, in Japan.

I would avoid jewelry, but perhaps some kind of home decoration could be nice.

Josh
by AllYouCanJapan (guest) rate this post as useful

Something unique from your area 2010/7/28 23:23
I have been in Japan for 21 days now travelling around. The person won t complain about what you give them, but if you give them something unique to your area.
My friend requested coffee from California, which was basic but I know her a little better. They will appreciate a gift that you can only get in your area.
I hope this will help your choice in gift giving.
by Travelman rate this post as useful

dont bother with shortbread or tea 2010/7/30 15:55
I would go with the jewelry, something simple if you do not know her taste. Im sure she will love it as that would be a rare find here in Japan.
Scottish shortbread and Whittard teas (as someone suggested) are found at a lot of supermarkets all over Japan so it would not seem as special. Anyway, isnt Whittards of London? Dont want to confuse Japanese people even more about the difference between Scotland and England if you are going with ''Gifts from Scotland'' idea.
by gilesdesign rate this post as useful

Try to go for ''Made in Scotland'' 2010/8/1 13:25
I'm from Scotland and I took my fiance back home to meet folk a few years back. So we went shopping in a lot of places to find presents to take home for her family.

stuff we chose were:

Edinburgh cut glass (we got glasses but Japanese people love small cut glass figurines. They normally have a space in their house for knick-knacks)

cashmire scarfs/gloves

Rennie Mackintosh broach (mother liked this)

Jewelery from Ortak

teddies wearing kilts

anything with nessie on them

Scottish Blend tea from Tesco

Scottish design tea towels (the teatowel is actually a traditional Japanese gift)

Any UK chocolate (It's very different and much better than the stuff over here. Galaxy was popular)

Toffee or rock, puff candy

Japanese really like stuff that's made at home, so check the labels (especially in tourist shops in the main Scottish cities) to make sure that it's made in Scotland. Even if it's cheap, they'll love it more. ''Made in China'' has quite a negative image over here.

Don't bring shortbread, unless you made it yourself. It's heavy and you can buy Walker's Shortbread over here in most Yamaya shops. I was nearly over my weight limit because of the stuff when I first came over and was shocked to see the lack of surprise on peoples faces when I handed it to them. The shortbread bubble has burst.

If she has a husband, you should bring him something small too. Like a can of beer, wee dram (although most are over here), some sweets etc. I brought my fiances dad a small quake but I had known him a while.

Since you've never met, something small for her would be nice and also something that she can share with her family and keep the present you gave to her. If not she might feel guilty and give her gift to her daughter etc.

Hope this helps. I'll ask my fiance her ideas when she gets back from work today. good luck.

by Adam (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread