Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Need help to understand his answer... 2010/7/17 23:25
Please help me to understand....

I asked him how long he will stay at Tokyo.

もう、だいがくないし、
しばらく東京 にいるー

by Mizzz (guest)  

... 2010/7/18 13:38
There no longer is university (I assume he means university lectures that he needs to attend),
so I will stay in Tokyo for a while...
by AK rate this post as useful

AK!!!!!! 2010/7/18 17:49
Hi AK

Thank u for ur time!!!

I just asked Japanese fellow to translate this to me.

They told me that he has finished University (Summer holidays)Then, he is staying in Tokyo for a long term like (2 months or 3 months).

For a while...it is long term or short term?

Thanks alot!!!
by Mizzz (guest) rate this post as useful

... 2010/7/18 18:37
This "shibaraku" = "for a while," can be a few weeks or a few months, one never knows. I mean, in English, if someone says "I'll stay here for a while," depending on the situation, you wouldn't know exactly how long either, right? :)

If you really want to know, you'd have to ask him "How long is "a while"?"

ak!!!!!! 2010/7/18 19:43
Yeah I am going to ask him

but I thought maybe for Japanese ..it is long term cuz I asked to 2 Japanese guys and both said ''long term''

Thank you for ur time ^^
by mizzz (guest) rate this post as useful

Shibaraku 2010/7/18 20:04
Mizzz,

If you read AK's profile, you will see that she is a native Japanese. As has already been explained to you above, "shibaraku" simply means "for a while", which could mean anything from a few minutes to a few months, depending on the situation.
by Dave in Saitama (guest) rate this post as useful

... 2010/7/18 21:12
Mizzz,
Well, "shibaraku Tokyo ni iru" does sound like he is not thinking at all of going anywhere (at least right now) ... that's why people would have told you "(rather) long term," "not in the immediate future." But probably it's best to ask :)

Dave in Saitama,
Thank you for pointing that out to the original poster :)

reply to this thread