Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Modeling with tan skin color 2010/7/20 06:58
I was interested in being a model and musician in Japan but I'm a little self conscious about my skin color. I have read in several places that pale white skin is the ideal for Japanese people. I understand that does not mean ALL people think that, however that being 'ideal' is well..ideal for that industry. I live in a desert area and I am quite tan and olive. In your experience, how do people view that skin type? Would I be turned down and considered unattractive regardless of my facial features simply because of my skin color? Please do not get offended by my question, I am asking because one modeling agency stated they did not want models that were "too tan", and I only saw one model in all the agencies I researched that had a dark complection. I will attach a photo of myself. http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g315/booneko/35229_446532224438_5530...
by Decorachii  

talent? 2010/7/20 11:18
I wouldn't say that tanned skin is "unattractive" to the general public in Japan (in fact, now that it's summer every Shibuya-kei teen is out in the beach tanning), but I would say that when model agencies seek foreign models, they seek for looks that they can't get from Japanese models, which often means blonde and white. Why not try out for "foreign talent" agencies that deal with extras and such rather than fashion modeling. Be it talent or model, however, I hear it doesn't make much money.
by Uco (guest) rate this post as useful

thanks Uco 2010/7/20 11:44
but I'm shooting for something higher than tarento. What I don't understand is if they want something other than Japanese appearance, how are mexican-americans not just that? I'm pretty sure they have plenty of blonde hair blue eyed women modeling. So it's honestly not possible for an ethnic person? I'm actually leaning more towards music, but singer=model basically. You have to be attractive to sell. What my question is, is it common for Japanese people to see a tan as a bad trait? Are tanned-skin people generally date-able in their eyes? I am asking for an answer based on mainstream Japanese society as of today.
by Decorachii rate this post as useful

which visa? 2010/7/20 13:49
There are plenty of very tanned Japanese, so of course tanned people are "dateable" here. Your personality will have a lot more to do with whether you get dates or not than anything else. I have a few Mexican and Latino friends here who are in relationships with Japanese people- their skin colour doesn't seem to have been an obstacle.

There are a lot of half-Japanese (who are seen as quite exotic) modelling here, and other ethnicities as well- it's just going to depend on whether you personally have the look that an agency/client wants, just like anywhere else. Generally paler skin is the preference for models here, yes.

Before you go any further, look into what kind of visa you might come to Japan on. Generally a modelling agency will not sponsor a visa for you unless you are already quite successful outside of Japan. The same goes for being a musician- I know people who work as English teachers during the day and play in groups or sing in their free time, trying to build up a career in it, but music just by itself will not provide a visa for you unless you are already very well known.

This means you will probably need to look at other options like a student visa initially, or a working visa if you qualify- you will need a university degree or a lot of work experience in a field where there is demand for non-Japanese staff in order to be eligible for a working visa.
by Sira (guest) rate this post as useful

Yes Sira 2010/7/20 14:18
That's what I plan to do. : D I intend to go on a student visa to study the language, then go on to a music school. I will enter any contest/audition possible and work extremely hard to get where I want, the rest is up to destiny. I'm well aware of my odds, that doesn't stop me. Whether or not it happens, the pursuit is the part I will never regret. :3 I was just curious because I've never been comfortable enough to ask my Japanese friends about skin color. Please wish me luck in my future gamble. ^^
by Decorachii rate this post as useful

reply to this thread