Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

asking "do you need help?" 2010/7/21 03:14
konnichiwa, i got a question, how do you say "do you need my help" in japanese fully without inference?

well i thought it is maybe between these 2:
"anata wa hitsoyou wa/o watashi no tasukete desu ka?" or "anata wa watashi no tasukete o hitsoyou desu ka?"

the first sentence i did it similar to the chinese grammer since i am chinese and i found that the japanese sentence structure has a lot in common with the cantonese structure. just that i felt it looks right..maybe?

arigato gozaimasu!!
by AssassinWarrior  

. 2010/7/21 17:08
It really depends on what situation you'd like to say "do you need help?".

If you find someone on the street who seems lost his way, you might say:
"nanika okomari desuka?" (do you have problems?) which is an opening which is followed by
"yokattara goannai shimashouka?" Shall I show you the way if you'd like?, for example.

If you're a shop assistant and you'd like to ask a customer "do you need help?" then you might say
"nanika osagashi desuka?" (literally "are you looking for something?)

If you see someone who is carrying heavy luggage and having difficulties with it, you can ask "otetsudai shimashouka?" (shall I help you?/shall I give you a hand?)
by . (guest) rate this post as useful

RE: 2010/7/21 18:56
thanks for the information, i really appreciated it but i would like to know which is more accurate/correct in my original post?

also, is my help ''tasukete'' suitable? or correct? thanks
by AssassinWarrior rate this post as useful

。。。 2010/7/21 19:21
I have heard that the Chinese grammar is closer to that of English; Japanese is close to the Korean language in terms of grammar. So.. your first sentence structure is a bit jumbled up.

If I try to correct your second sentence in terms of grammar, first of all:
- Anata wa watashi no tasuke o hitsuyou desu ka? ("Do you need my help?" quite literally - "tasuke" is the noun for "help.")

But "tasuke" (noun), "tasukeru/tasukemasu" (verb), or "tasukete" (te-form, used in combination with ther verbs) means "help" as in "help in an emergency," "help/rescue." So that is why the above poster said that it depends on the situation. You would not use this word in a question - if someone looked like they needed "tasuke" (help in an emergency), you would just go and help :)

"tetsudai" (noun), "tetsudau/tetsudaimasu" (verb) would be the "help" in "giving a helping/kind hand," or "assistance" (guiding the way, carrying baggage, etc.) The last sentence by the above poster uses this word, with "o-" added at the beginning to make it a polite expression, because you are making an offer.

So if you want to offer someone assistance in terms of telling them the way to get somewhere or carrying heavy-looking baggage,

- O-tetsudai shimashou ka?" (Shall I help you?)
...would be the simplest way.

- Nanika o-komari desu ka? (Are you at a loss with something?)
...suggested above is another good way too :)
by AK rate this post as useful

re: 2010/7/21 19:59
ahhh i see, thankyou!

as for "O-tetsudai shi-mashou ka?" isnt "mashou" is for like "shall we"? wouldnt "otetsudai shimasu ka?" be more accurate? unless its "O-tetsudai shima-shou ka?"..

its just that the first poster didnt seperate them, kinda lost lol.

also, what does "komari" and "sagashi" (exclude the Os in the front) mean?
also for "goan-nai" (exclude the negative "nai")

... 2010/7/21 20:16
"O-tetsudai shimashou ka?" means "Shall/should I...?" and asking in a bit roundabout, thus somewhat hesitant, humble way.

If you said "O-tetsudai shimasu ka?" that would sound a bit too direct :)

"komaru/komarimasu" (verb) means to "be at a loss, be in a trouble."
"O-komari desu ka?" is a respectful way to ask if they are at a loss.
"Komatte imasu ka?" would be a polite (but less common) speech to ask the same thing, using the "te-form" of the same verb.

"sagasu/sagashimasu" (verb) means to "look for (something)."
"Nanika o-sagashi desu ka?" is a respectful way to ask if they are looking for something.
"Nanika sagashite imasu ka?" would be a polite speech to ask the same thing, using the "te-form" of the same verb.
by AK rate this post as useful

re: 2010/7/21 20:57
oh i see, that explains a lot! thanks

reply to this thread