Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

IUD in Japan 2010/7/22 02:32
I went to the ob/gyn to ask about getting an IUD. She told me the risks and benefits and showed me what one looked like. Now I'm trying to do research to compare it to IUDs available in the US, but I don't even have a name. I know that it only lasts 3 years, it's probably only 80% effective, and it doesn't look like Minerva or the copper one. Can anyone tell me what it's called and if it's hormonal? And if you feel like sharing, what has your experience with it been like?

Thanks!
by MrsPrimalConvoy (guest)  

... 2010/7/22 22:30
This is not what you mean, right?
http://www.japan-guide.com/forum/quereadisplay.html?0+74163

"IUD" are called "IUD." The first generation was the simple "closed ring" shaped ring, second generation includes open type and the copper ones, and the third generation is hormonal. I believe only up to second generation is used in Japan.

If you want to ask for the copper one, ask for "dou fuka IUD." ("dou" = copper, "fuka" = added/attached, in this case.)

I am not familiar with those (I am an oral contraceptive OC user), but just like with OC, I can imagine there are doctors who are for and against IUD.
by AK rate this post as useful

No, that's not what I mean... 2010/7/24 00:57
But thanks for the quick response!

I ended up calling a hospital, and it turns out that there is a hormonal IUD, and it's actually the same as the one in the US (Mirena). I still don't know what the one was that the doctor showed me. I'm guessing it was one of the first or second generation IUDs you mentioned. But since the one I was interested in is the Mirena, and I can find the info about it in English, I'm just going to get that one.

For anyone who is interested, Mirena lasts for 5 years, is supposed to help people with heavy periods, is about 99% effective as a contraceptive (which is better than OCs) and even though the cost is all up front, is actually more cost effective than OCs over time. Of course, there are risks, but to me the benefits far outweigh the possible downsides.
by MrsPrimalConvoy (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread