Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Moving to Japan 2010/7/23 03:12
My husband is talking about going to school to major in teaching (English) and minoring in Japanese. He'd like for us to be able to move to Japan.

I don't really know how that works, we've never been to another country before. I encourage him to study abroad for a year while in school, so he will be able to get a good feel for Japan before we move. We both love the culture, but of course don't know it first-hand and want to be knowledgeable before traveling so far.

If he is able to move for work, will I be able to move with him since we're married? I have a Japanese friend that is in the US during the school season, working at a college, and goes back to Japan in the summer. Would we have to do that because of the school season?

Also, how do you move with pets? We currently have a variety of animals, but by the time he is finished with school we anticipate only our four cats will still be around. I have heard it's hard to find a place that allows pets and I fear that four cats will be asking too much... Our pets are our family, so going without them is not an option.

Just wanting more information.
by MsKtty89  

. 2010/7/23 11:18
Well before you give up your entire lives and come over to Japan one needs to really evaluate what would be good for them and for their families.

I think sometimes it is quite easier for a single person to make such decisions but for two people it becomes harder.

If he gets a job in Japan, you can come to Japan as a ''dependent'' on a dependent visa. You can only work part-time (you need an additional part-time work permit from Immigration). OR you can apply for a job in Japan and get a full work visa and come over that way too.

Assuming you both have qualifications (eg University degrees).

If you want my honesty, FOUR cats seems a lot for an average Japanese place where even one cat might be too much. Especially if your first place of residence is going to be a small apartment it would be ''difficult'' to find a place that accepts one cat, let a lone four cats.

As for your Japanese friend, I don't think he is ''required'' to do that but maybe does it to visit his friends/family back in Japan. But I don't know much about US immigration law.

In Japan, you can stay as long as you want for the period of time that is granted in your status of residency (eg Visa). You don't have to leave when school season is off, assuming you were teaching at a public school vs private company.

As I was alluding to before. Pay is not great depending on what job you get. For a single person, it might be manageable, but for a married couple it might be difficult if one person is only working (in the beginning) unless you also qualify for a work visa too or can find part-time work.

There are a lot of factors and variables that really need to be taken into consideration.

My suggestion would be before you decide to move everything over is come over to Japan and WORK for 1 year or so before deciding to give up everything at home and move.

The work is not meant for everyone.
by ET (guest) rate this post as useful

moving to Japan 2010/7/23 12:53
My husband is talking about going to school to major in teaching (English) and minoring in Japanese. He'd like for us to be able to move to Japan.

Although it doesn't hurt, a major in education is not required to be an english teacher in Japan. All you need is a bachelor's degree to satisfy the immigration requirements. That said, the market for English teaches is around a low point so you may find it more difficult to get a job than it may have been in the past. Not impossible though.

I don't really know how that works, we've never been to another country before. I encourage him to study abroad for a year while in school, so he will be able to get a good feel for Japan before we move. We both love the culture, but of course don't know it first-hand and want to be knowledgeable before traveling so far.

Come travel before hand if you are able, but if not I don't think its all that essential. Many people come to Japan to work just a few years. You can always move back home if it doesn't suit you.

If he is able to move for work, will I be able to move with him since we're married?

Yes, as mentioned some of the possibilities are that you could get a dependant visa or a work visa of your own.

I have a Japanese friend that is in the US during the school season, working at a college, and goes back to Japan in the summer. Would we have to do that because of the school season?

No. You can stay in Japan for the duration specified on your visa. Work visas are given in 1 or 3 year increments.

Also, how do you move with pets? We currently have a variety of animals, but by the time he is finished with school we anticipate only our four cats will still be around. I have heard it's hard to find a place that allows pets and I fear that four cats will be asking too much... Our pets are our family, so going without them is not an option.

You can do it but it will be expensive. Pets will limit your apartment options, and 4 cats will definitely limit your choices, but you should be able to find something. Usually there a pet deposit for the apartment. Also, I believe that there is a rabies quarantine when your pets arrive, which is something like a month or two of boarding. You may be able to avoid this with the proper vaccines and paperwork.

Here's a related thread to get you started:

http://www.japan-guide.com/forum/quereadisplay.html?0+54303
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

try first 2010/7/23 16:08
Liking the culture and living in the Japan is totally different thing...
I do suggest the trial a couple of month to see how it goes.
Japan is quite unique country in terms of mental stage of people- I have to say. Lots of people are quite restricted and conservative.

Japanese wife get to live in the U.S. if her husband is here for work with Work-visa, so I assume it's same thing for American Citizen in Japan.

In terms of shipping pets, just call airline, they should answer all your questions (I used to work for airline).

Good luck!
by greenmango (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread