Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Summer heat 2010/7/23 20:44
Hi,
I'm leaving for Japan in about two weeks, so beginning of August.
I knew of course that it is going to be really hot and humid, but many reasons (like school) only allowed me to go in August.
I will probably not have the chance to go again within the next few years, so I want to do all the stuff I've been wanting to do this time. Which also means that I will be walking pretty much, too.
I am not the type to lose all energy when it is warm, but instead I start to sweat really easily. And combined with the heat in Japan in which you sweat with the smallest motion, I might have a big problem there. :(
Do you have any tips how to survive it better and make the stay more comfortable?
- Towel/Handkerchief
- Drinking a lot
- Fan
- Light clothing ( Do you think it's still okay to wear jeans? I have some scars from an accident on my legs and I am really really feeling not well if I'm wearing short pants or skirts...)
- Good deodorant

Any other tips?
by Mini (guest)  

some 2010/7/24 13:20
During the daytime, you should plan to stay in a building(shopping & museums) or underground(subway) and at night you can visit the night attractions.

Many summer events such as festivals & fireworks are held at night.

Kyoto
http://www.kyotojoho.co.jp/english/event/8/index.html

Osaka
http://www.pref.osaka.jp/en/introduction/seasons.html
by Ts (guest) rate this post as useful

Where in Japan? 2010/7/24 17:20
Where will you spend your time in Japan?
Of course summer is hot but no hotter than many places in other countries.
If clothing is the only thing that bothers you, wear light clothing and a hat. Yo do not have to wear jeans, there are many other styles of light weight trousers that are a lot more confortable.
Enjoy your trip
by iwander rate this post as useful

summer heat 2010/7/24 22:58
I've been in Kyoto for four days now and I'm doing a month long stay while I take a language course. Boy, is it hot! Some tips that I've gathered in the last few days:

- carry a handkerchief/towel. seriously, even the locals do it

- consider buying a parasol when you get here especially if you are really pale

- get a hand fan

- I've worn jeans but swingy skirts and loose tops are more comfortable. Jeans are doable though. When its this hot nothing feels truly comfortable. Get some lightweight linen pants if you can!

- on the subject of clothes people are divided. some people swear that you should wear synthetics that wick away fabric and stay dry; others insist on natural fabrics like cotton or lightweight wool. Most of my clothes are cotton or cotton blend and I think this is fine. They get soaked with sweat but dry fairly quickly and don't smell afterwards.

- BRING YOUR OWN DEODORANT. the Japanese versions do not have aluminum in them and it is less effective - come to think of it I haven't even seen deodorant here yet...baby powder helps prevent irritation too.

- drink a lot of water. it's very easy to get dehydrated here because of the humidity. I drink water and/or green tea constantly.

- if you have oily skin buy a toner

Ganbatte!
by roodles (guest) rate this post as useful

i am in heat also 2010/7/25 00:53
recently, a couple of japanese dies by heat everyday actually.
do not be out long daytime.
in almost facilities & shops, air-conditioners work.
by gonta (guest) rate this post as useful

brands to look for 2010/7/25 08:26
There is plenty of deodorant available in the drugstores- two major brands are Ban and 8x4. What you won't find here really is antiperspirant. If you would really smell without your normal deodorant then of course bring extra, but I find the Japanese versions work fine.

I don't see the point in antiperspirant so much in summer- you are going to sweat from more places than just your underarms!
by Sira (guest) rate this post as useful

Drinking too much water is dangerous! 2010/7/25 15:48
One thing we tend to mis out is that you shouldn't drink too much "water" when you're sweating a lot.

What you should drink a lot is water and salt combined, because you're loosing a lot of salt through your sweat. A doctor's college son has died from constantly drinking too much pure water while golfing.

Water is okay, but at the same time, try to eat food that contain salt and minerals. Otherwise, drink "sports drinks" such as Aquarius or Pokari Sweat that already contain salt and minerals.

As for clothing, if you prefer to cover your legs, why not wear loose cotton or linen pants? Jeans are too thick and tight and hot. The idea is to let air flow through your skin and to avoid direct sunlight.
by Uco (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread