Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Sushi Leaf 2010/7/24 03:58
Good day,

I am trying to recall the name of the green leaf, which is served under nigiri sushi as a mat.

Can anyone help me with its name? Many thanks,
by delaynomore  

... 2010/7/24 13:09
I don't think that nigiri sushi are usually served on leaves. It must be a restaurant's creation.

My guess is that it is a bamboo leaf.
by Uji rate this post as useful

Bamboo leaf 2010/7/24 14:00
Delaynomore,

It is "sasa", which is bamboo leaf.
by Dave in Saitama (guest) rate this post as useful

Haran (Aspidistra elatior) 2010/7/24 22:40
Haran, scientific name Aspidistra elatior, is used more often than Sasa or other bamboo leaves.
http://www.musashino-p.co.jp/plant/plant-ai/mdfharan.htm
http://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/%E3%83%8F%E3%83%A9%E3%83%B3_(%E6%A4%8D%E7...)

By the way, plastic substitute imitates it.

by Haran (guest) rate this post as useful

. 2010/7/25 00:52
Upper scale Sushi restaurants tend to use "sasa" leaves.
by . (guest) rate this post as useful

. 2010/7/25 07:19
Yes, it could be sasa as other posters have said.

It's possible, though unlikey, that you are thinking of shiso, though it wouldn't be a mat because shiso is small and is usually a garnish for something like, chirashi or another raw fish over sushi rice 'donburi'. I don't think you are thinking of shiso, however.

I think sasa might be a mat for something like, say, inari zushi, which would be very traditional. But I also have never seen it as a mat for nigiri style sushi. You must be going to a very upscale trendy place :-)
by Kazuyuki78 rate this post as useful

Thanks 2010/7/26 15:27
It is Sasa Leaf (笹の葉) I'm thinking about indeed. Thanks for the assistance.

I needed to clarify because in English, that mat is called a bamboo leaf. Yet in Japanese Kanji, 笹 is considered separate from 竹, the latter is more associated with Bamboo naturally. Now I figured they're both varieties of bamboos.

And yes I believe they're used more in upper end sushi-ya, although I have been to certain stand up sushi shops also using it. Weird !
by delaynomore rate this post as useful

Shiso maybe? 2010/7/30 15:56
A lot of foods in Japan are served on Shiso leaves. It has a serrated edge and is a little bitter and a little like cilantro.
by tobias (guest) rate this post as useful

shiso 2010/7/30 17:25
anyone tried shiso flavour pepsi? its rank
by gilesdesign rate this post as useful

pepsi 2010/7/30 18:11
I kinda liked it. It tasted kinda like regular cider with a light shiso aftertaste. Then again I also liked the ice cucumber pepsi...
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

reply to this thread