Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Electronic dictionary 2010/8/1 19:27
Hello, i'm french and I would like to buy electronic dictionary but my problem is my japanese is not very good so i'm not sure if i'll can use it well cause they are for japanese and i'll can't test it cause i'll have to buy it on internet.

I would like buy this one http://casio.jp/exword/products/XD-A7200/

I would like advice from japanese who use electronic if they think it's hard to use for foreigner and maybe french who use electronic dictionary

Thank you in advance for your answers
by olivier2975  

. 2010/8/2 11:07
My recommendation would be getting something in the CANON "WORDTANK" series. Most of the wordtanks have a function to change the user menues to English (not sure if they have French) but you can change the menu settings into English on the wordtank series.
by ExpressTrain (guest) rate this post as useful

... 2010/8/2 17:35
My wife bought recently a Wordtank. As i do not speak/write much Japanese i tried to understand how the device works. After experimenting and finding an abbreviated manual on the internet i got the idea how it works. If you do not understand Japanese or are trying to learn it i think it's no use. The Wordtank and similar devices support some other language like English, Chinese or Korean. No French (but i have not specifically looked for this). If you are looking for a translator with French and Japanese you might consider a travel translator (like Franklin). Although they usually have not many words in it and mainly travel oriented words. If you are using the dictionary only at home you might also consider the translators/dictionaries available on the internet (Google, Yahoo).
by B. Slager (guest) rate this post as useful

Wordtank 2010/8/4 02:34
I have a wordtank, too (a G55). It's not as useful as it could be - they're generally designed for native Japanese speakers, but I get a lot of use out of certain functions. I don't regret the purchase, it's pretty useful to me and only gets more useful as I learn more, but the learning curve is a long one outside of the J-to-E dictionary and kanjigen.

If you have an iPod touch or iPhone there's a free implementation of Jim Breen's dictionary called 'Kotoba!' that's probably as close as you can get to an electronic dictionary intended for native English speakers. The more I use it the more impressive it seems. It is big, though, 100MB.
by Catfish (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread