Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Japanese eating habits 2010/8/6 07:55
This is a question for anyone who lives in Japan or has before and retains their Japanese diet. What does your personal daily eating schedule look like? For instance, what meals are biggest, smallest, what times approx., do you ever skip meals, how often do you drink water, soda, coffee, and what are some examples of what you eat, what foods don't you like, etc.

I'm just always curious about other cultures food lifestyles, because they're so different compared to each other when you look at the details.:) Thanks!
by Olivia (guest)  

. 2010/8/6 12:23
Dinner is usually my biggest meal, although the Japanese media encourages us to have a big breakfast and decrease the amount towards dinner.

Since I don't commute, I have breakfast around 10:00am, lunch around 2:00pm and dinner around 8:00pm, although typically most people eat around 7:00am, 12:00 noon and 7:00pm.

I'm the bad girl who often skips breakfast, and the busy girl who often skips lunch, and when I want to loose weight I skip dinner.

Although the Japanese media encourages us to drink 2 litres of water a day, I hardly drink water. I usually drink 500ml of milk, a mug cup of coffee in the morning, and probably about 500ml 100% fruit juice a day. Then of course, I can't miss my soup at dinner. I try my best not to drink soda.

There is no food in the world that I can't eat apart from insects. Like many Japanese, I eat all kinds of food; Japanese, Italian, Chinese etc. Then unlike many Japanese, I even like exotic food such as coriander and licorice. I also go out of my way to eat Middle Eastern or African meanls.
by Uco (guest) rate this post as useful

my day 2010/8/6 13:51
American girl working in a Japanese company here.

I always eat a small breakfast, usually yogurt. I also make my own bento, usually rice with an assorment of sides(they sell a lot of frozen single-portion foods for bento in the Japanese supermarket, and it's really easy to make my own small portions in my small kitchen)-today was spinich sautee, a mini-omlette, and some cherry tomatoes and baby cheese. Most of my coworkers go out for lunch to ramen or curry or buy combini bento-very high fat. My office is mostly girls, so there's usually sweets and cookies around, and around 3-4 someone will always say they're hungry and we'll break out the cookies or cake. I usually don't get home until 8 or later so I'll buy a sandwich or a marked down supermarket bento- I hate eating that late and preparing food at night just takes time so I prefer to buy dinner- plus stuff is 20-50% cheaper after 8!
by Vita (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread